Cloth Diapers?

My husband and I are trying out cloth diapers. Any tips?

AngelOnBoard

Asked by AngelOnBoard at 12:21 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Need to go on the Cloth Diaper groups. (they have new diaper that a great)

We used them 27-years ago and it was a diaper service and we did like them. And NO we did not wash them in the toilet.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:25 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I really don't like the washing in the toilet thing. Our plan was a diaper service, and the diaper service here went out of business two months before our baby was born. =/
    I'll look at the cloth diaper groups. Thank you!
    AngelOnBoard

Answer by AngelOnBoard at 12:44 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I don't have a service OR wash them in the toilet. I wash them in the washing machine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:49 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• You don't rinse them first? That would be great.
    AngelOnBoard

Answer by AngelOnBoard at 12:50 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Breastfed poo washes out in the machine. Older poop goes in the toilet (lust tipn it in or use a square of tp -- you are supposed to do thar with disposables too so feces go to the sewer system and don't end up in the trash)

I use prefolds and flats so laundering is extra easy.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:56 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• awesome. Thank you everyone for your advice. He is breatfed, so it will be pretty easy for now. I am also using prefolds.
    AngelOnBoard

Answer by AngelOnBoard at 12:57 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Once your baby starts solids, there is a transition period where the poop is solid, but really sticky. We use rice paper liners during this time, and they are flushable. So, when the baby poops this sticky mess, it sticks to the liner, and you dump it in the toilet. If the baby only pees, you can wash the liner and reuse it, but of course they don't mention this. I actually wash mine first, because they are softer and less tissue paper feeling first. Mine is now 18 months old, and we're potty training, but if she were to poop, it would be solid and would fall into the toilet without sticking.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 1:03 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• If it's a poop that doesn't easily come off the diaper, I usually rinse it in the sink or shower, with the shower head.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• When exclusively breastfeeding I found I did not need to rinse the diapers at all (it all comes out in the wash). It depends on the child once solids start. For the most part I have just been able to dump the solid into the toilet and there is little to none stuck to the diaper and I don't need to rinse them.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:20 PM on Mar. 24, 2010