My baby girl is now a woman!

I was doing the laundry this morning and I noticed in my 12yr olds underwear that there was a lot of brown stuff in it. I stood there for a moment and just stared at it. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I got tears in my eyes as I knew what it was but a little disappointed that my baby girl didn't come and tell me. I went to the school a few minutes ago to talk to her about it and give her some pads. She completely denied having her period. I feel so bad for her right now. Poor thing is probably scared out of her tree. I know I was when I started mine at 10! I'm pretty sure that she did start as there was a fare amount of it. Plus I know she knows how to wipe her butt well enough. lol
Thanks ladies, just needed to talk about it!

newlifewith3

Asked by newlifewith3 at 12:39 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I just noticed the same thing with my 10 yr. old a couple of days ago. I talked to her when her brothers were no where to be found. We had that "talk," so it wasn't something that she didn't know was coming, she said she just didn't think it would have been so soon (doc said probably about a yr, a couple of months ago.)

I think some girls are just so shocked about it truly happening that they just freeze. I know mine is a lot like a cat - your never know what she is thinking or going through, which is really hard because we want to help them out when we can.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:27 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• poop
    Anonymous

• When my girls were your daughter's age, we had already discussed all about starting/having their periods, how it might feel, what it would mean, that it wasn't anything to be ashamed of or embarassed by, etc., etc. So they had no problem coming to me when the time came. Since girls are starting at such a young age these days (some as young as 8!), we moms have to start the discussions at a young age, too. I hope you can help her feel okay about it with your support and love.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 12:45 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My daughter didn't tell me either. We had talked about it several times over the past few years, and then all of a sudden I noticed she was developing breasts and underarm hair. I told her I needed to buy some pads for her bathroom so she'd be ready when she did start because I didn't think it would be much longer. She said, "I already did." Apparently she'd been stuffing toilet paper in her panties the past couple of months when she had her period. I felt terrible.

Anonymous

• That just makes her a girl who got her period. This definitely not makes her a woman.
    Anonymous

• awww, its kinda hard thinking your little ones grow up,isn't it? Well, exciting,proud and difficult all at the same time,lol. Hopefully when she gets home from school she will work up the courage to talk to you about it.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2010