Not sure what to do about bad day are provider

My girls are in day care 1-2 days per week. I recently had to find a new provider because our previous one could not afford my girls only p/t. She was great so I knew filling her shoes would be hard. I found someone who was available p/t and I was a little unsure about her from the begining but decided to give her a try. After 10 days, I saw that my girls (ages 4 and 18 mths) were not adjusting well. There were several small issues I have but nothing too major. My 4yo. was intimidated by her and said she was always busy "working" on her computer. My 18mo was confined in a small area away from all the kids all day. When she was told we were leaving, she demanded two-weeks payment. We already had paid for one and before the second one was due, she called and told me my 4yo was a spoiled, sneaky little brat and my 18mo was essentially retarded. Neither is remotely true. Do I still pay her for week 2?

SDJenn

Asked by SDJenn at 12:52 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• Did you have a written contract and does it state in that contract that you must give a certain amount of notice or be responsible for a full week's payment whether your child is there for the full week or not? If there is nothing in writing stating that you are responsible for paying for the full week, then no, I'd only pay her for the actual days your child was there.

Anonymous

• First off no you dont pay her. If you had no contract you have no obligation to her. And if someone treated my children like that I wouldnt pay them. And to anonymous ALot of mothers have no choice but to put their children in daycare so get off your high horse and if you cant answer the question politely then dont answer it at all. Mothers have to work to support their kids. Obivously this mother had a question and needs help...
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 1:04 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• OMFG. First of all you only pay her if your going to use her that second week.

SECONDLY, i'm working on my BA to be able to be a child care provire and not only is that illegal but unethical.. she needs to have her license taken away if she even has one!

Find someone else quick and report her.. there is no reason to have that type of aggression towards such young children after a week... who knows what will happen or what she'll think of them if she stays there..

and it is sooo unhealthy for your 18 month old to be stuck in a small space all day!!

Ugh this women makes me irritated and annoyed
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:15 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I can't believe she would say that to you about your children! I babysit children in my home and I would never ever say that to a mom,let alone think thoughts like that about a kid. Thats just terrible. If you didn't sign a contract with her stating that you are obligated to pay for a full two weeks when you decide to no longer use her, there is no way I would pay her now. I can understand if she never said that to you,that would be different. But once she opened her rude mouth,she ruined it.
    Good luck finding a new sitter, don't be discouraged, not all of us out there are monsters.Trust your gut instinct to, don't ignore it! If it doesn't feel right, move on to the next one.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• No. You have no obligation to pay her. Unless there was an agreement before hand that you pay two weeks if you leave, then you do not have any obligation to pay her. If there was no contract, there is no legal obligation to pay her that two weeks payment.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:23 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Don't call her, and call CPS on her.
    Anonymous

• Whoops, that was supposed to be don't pay her.
    Anonymous

• No, don't pay her. I didn't pay the final 2 weeks for a daycare center, licensed and everything because of issues they were having. They tried to get it one time, I told them I'd call OSHA on them for their lice. They never called back.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• If you didn't sign anything saying you need to pay her, than don't. She can't make up the rules as she goes along!
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 4:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2010