How soon did your son start using deodorant?

My son will be 9 in a couple of months and I have noticed hat there have been a few times were his armpit smell is strong enough that I can smell him by just standing next to him. Is it too soon for him to start using deodorant? Can I put deodorant on a 8 year old? I would like to at least wait until his 9 or 10 but I don't think he will be able to wait that long.

LucyT20

Asked by LucyT20 at 12:54 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son is 14 and I have never noticed a smell yet. He uses deodorant, but mostly because his friends do. My daughter on the other hand is 6 and I notice a smell sometimes when she needs a bath. I say if he smells, have him use it. He must need it. Does he shower every day? Maybe it's time to start that too.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:03 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My son was a stinky stinky stinky little man begining around the age of 7! This kid had some B.O that could make the hair on your head stand on end,lol. He got deoderant then and he is 10 today and he still uses deoderant, I make him take it with him in his bookbag to school to use after recess too,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:05 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My son is 11 and I make him use it. The problem is if I dont tell him to do it everyday then he wont do it. If he smells at 8 I would have him use it. Show him how and then make sure he does it.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 1:06 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My son is 8 and started this yr.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 1:30 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• If you can smell him, then yes, he need deoderant. Some people don't have strong BO and there for just don't really need deoderant. Others need it far younger than one would figure.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:51 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Cam was 6 when he started... I mean I could smell his undre arms a mile away. Made u wanna crack a window! I talked to his doc and he said it was okay.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 2:39 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My kids started when they were 7 and 8. I didn't really notice that they needed it, but wanted them to be in the habit of using before they actually needed it.

Answer by missanc at 4:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• If you star him try going Natural Products that dont have aluminum and other ingridiants that may clogh his pores becous is better out than in goog luck.
    Zuzy

Answer by Zuzy at 9:58 AM on Apr. 1, 2010