insurance and marriage counseling

How does it work; my husband has blue cross blue shield but I am uninsured so will his insurance pay for it? Or will I have to pay half or something? anyone know?

threeeunder3

Asked by threeeunder3 at 1:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• Most insurances do not pay for marriage counseling.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:27 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Have you checked to see if counseling is even covered? Many plans don't cover counseling. Also if he gets insurance through his job why doesn't he just pay the extra for family coverage so you are insured as well??? If counseling isn't covered you can always try Catholic Charities...they base counseling, including marriage counseling fees based on your income. When I've been there for counseling it was $5 a session!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:28 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Check your husbands insurance to see if it is covered. Seeing you are still married, you should still be covered.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• We went to 2 sessions assuming that our insurance (Aetna) covered it. A week later, we got a call from the counselor saying that Aetna kicked it back and refused to pay. We had to pay out of pocket and realized that we would just have to NOT get counseling. What a jip. We're in trouble :-(
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Oh, and from my own experience, I got the impression that Catholic Charities was kind of a joke. I went to 2 sessions when I was a teen and the counselor didn't seem much older than I was. I'm pretty sure she was doing an internship and was no help to me at all. Just my experience. I'm sure they're not ALL like that.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 2:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• thanks guys. If I can even convince my hubby to go, lol.I guess I will call the insurance company. BTW we are barel making it by week to week and we can't afford to put me on his insurance. It would be like another $280 a month for the both of us.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 4:50 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I have BCBS and am allowed 12 counseling sessions.
    Anonymous