Traveling with a 1 year old to Montana from east coast...

My husband's family is in Montana, and he would like to visit them this summer and we're obviously going to have to bring the baby. Flying I know is very expensive per person and we'd need to get a ticket for the baby as well and bring his car seat on the plane. I'm ok with driving even if it will take a while. My husband wants to ask my parents if we can use their 30 foot RV - Has anyone had an infant in an RV before - I wouldn't know where to put his car seat - we only have the two captain chairs in the front and a couch, seat and dining seat in the middle and the bed in the back. Alternatively we could also rent a mini-van and stay in hotels.

Just wondering with a big trip like this what others have done and how they've done it with a child our child's age.

amw529

Asked by amw529 at 1:31 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Travel

• If your concern is for safety (the seat belt issue) you would be better off renting a van. That's a long drive and your kid probably won't be happy in an RV if he can't get out of his seat and walk around in all that space he sees. It's like a tease.  Get a van and a portable DVD player, take some of his toys, and snacks.  He should be fine with that.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 1:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• The RV would be so much better because the child won't fee as cramped and you'll be able to walk around and rock the baby and feed it a lot easier and i think if the option is there.. its the best thing for you
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• After the cost of either paying for gas for an RV or renting a van and staying at hotels, you'd be paying the same amount or more than if you just bought plane tickets. Plane tickets are not that expensive especially if you buy them a month or two in advance. You can also hold your son in your lap and check his car seat so you'd only be buying two tickets. You can do that until 2 years old. Some airlines give discounted prices for children's seats, too. We flew from the east coast to California and we paid $400 for two tickets.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I think that Christina807 brought up a great point. It is most often cheaper to fly when you factor in gas, meals and lodging. I would have reservations about traveling with a little one that I would not be able to strap in. We have a pull behind so that we sit in the vehicle and we are all strapped in. I think that it is just one of those things that you will have to decide whether you are comfortable with. With that in mind I just drove with my little ones from Wa to Fl and then to NC and then back to Fl and then back to Wa. So if you really want the adventure of the drive I totally understand that. I was actually able to make it very affordable. I packed a lot of food so that I was not buying fast food. We stayed in KOA cabins which are cheaper than hotels but they do not have bathrooms in them. It was more expensive but it was something I always wanted to do. Good luck deciding.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:51 AM on Mar. 26, 2010