What bottle would be best for a breastfed baby when unable to breastfeed?

I plan to breastfeed my daughter who is five days late as of today. I will be able to breastfeed her days I don't work with no problem (I hope) but I work part time 10 hours a day 2 days a week. What are the best bottles I can use without causing nipple confusion or making her only want the bottle? I have heard Avent bottles are good but they leak and heard Playtex drop-ins are great for breastfeeding because you can store the milk and just drop it in when needed. Anyone?

rockin_robin311

Asked by rockin_robin311 at 1:34 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i exclusively breastfed, and my daughter would take brestmilk in a bottle until she was 7 weeks old, then not at all. if she took a bottle, it had to be one of the platex dropins. she would even try for any other kind. i tried to go back to work, and she refused to eat at all for 9hours straight, 3 days in a row. so i ended up satying home w her.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 1:38 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• It's really a personal preference on your part and babies part. I wanted to use Avent (which I used for my son and they NEVER leaked BTW) but my daughter couldn't stand the nipples....I tried the drop-ins because they are very helpful with gas, but she wouldn't use them. She would only ever take to the plain simple gerber nipples and eventually the Dr. Browns bottles since they are similiar shaped....she won't use anything else.

Your baby will like what he or she knows, so just decide on what you want to use when you do use bottles and stick with that brand/type.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:43 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I didn't allow bottles until she was 8 weeks old, so my husband used spoon or eyedropper while i was at work (a small cup can be used to...yhey lap like kittens). But she took to the adiri bottle. other tups are mimijiri, dr browns, and breastflow.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:46 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I used the playtex ventaire advanced with the breast feeding nipple. i had no trouble with them leaking at all.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:50 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Really, whichever ones she will take. Which may be difficult, or may be easy.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:01 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• It's good to wait 6-8 weeks before giving any bottles or pacifiers to get your supply established. This is the best piece of breastfeeding advice you will get!

There is no one best bottle or nipple. You have to experiment.

www.kellymom.com is a good breastfeeding website
    There are a lot of working breastfeeding moms on the Mothering Magazine discussion boards
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:16 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Some bottle nipples ARE better than others for going back and forth from beast to bottle. You can't go by what it says on the package (they all claim to be most like the breast). One that always comes out on top when looked at by lactation experts with no financial interest in the matter is the Playtex NaturaLatch nipple that goes with the "drop ins" The "nuk" or "orthodontic" nipples tend to be the worst as they promote a shallow latch. Check out Recommended Bottle Nipples

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:25 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I used the Medela bottles. My son got one bottle at ~4 weeks old just to see if he would take it, and then three a day from the time he was 7 weeks old and I went back to work, until he started on a sippy cup at about a year old. He's still breastfeeding at night and on weekends at 22 months old so nipple confusion wasn't a problem for us :) And the bottles screw onto the pump, they worked very well for us.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 3:41 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• The best bottle is the one YOUR BABY will accept. That could be any of the ones mentioned above. Buy the smallest pack available of the bottle you want to try, and have someone try it when you're absent. If it works, you've got your bottle. If not, try another.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:43 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I BF my son with an occasional bottle for date night with DH. i used the playtex drop in bottles with the slow flow naturalatch nipples.  

tomib

Answer by tomib at 4:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2010