my son won't eat much at all if he's eating by himself, but if i feed him, he'll eat everything.

i don't understand this. when he feeds himself i have to tell him constantly to take another bite. then after 3 or 4 bites he'll say hes full, or he has to puke (thats his new excuse for everything), then he starts whining and crying when i tell him he has to eat more. and i know he's not really full, because he would finish the whole meal if i were feeding him. what should i do about this??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i'm having the same problem with my daughter whos 5. she doesn't want to eat anything unless it's fed to her but she doesn't want to touch the food because it might get on her fingers/hands. i tried letting her eat the few bites that she will take through out the day in hopes she will start eating more because she's hungry with no sucess. i'm not going to feed her everytime she eats because she will be in school soon and needs to learn she needs to do these things on her own. so i make her sit there till she finishes eating. sometimes she still won't eat but i do not know what to do either.
    Anonymous

• It is all about attention, sounds like to me they are wanting mommies attention/ which means love to them. Yahweh bless.
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 2:37 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My daughter just turned 3, and just did this. I refused to feed her, because she has been feeding herself for over a year. After 3 days of her eating 2 and 3 bites here and there, she started feeding herself again. We stuck to snack and meal times. She has six opportunities to eat a day, so I wasn't worried.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 2:50 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My toddler does this only when he's tired.
    Anonymous