Would you ask the PTO president to see the financial books, if you knew she was stealing money from the account?

PTO president is stealing money from schools account to pay her bills! I know this for a fact. The account is in the negative and the school year is coming to an end. This lady is the same lady who holds "fundraisers" for other charites and I bet she is stealing that too! Since knowing I refuse to give the school money for these charities! What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• The PTO president should not even have the books. They should be with the treasurer. Also any checks should be signed by 2 people so someone probably knows about this! I would definatley talk to your principal, share your concerns and ask for an independant audit by a few parents at the school.
    Mommah3

Answer by Mommah3 at 1:54 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• You are right! The account is in her name though, and the treasure is her BFF!
    Anonymous

• You need to bring this to the Principal so that an independant audit can be called. And why in the world does the PTA Pres. have the check book. I'm the treasurer of our local HS band club and our Pres. has to call me to get a check made out. And the financial statements are made available to any member that asks for them. I'll email them the current bank statement if asked for it.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:59 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• The account should never been in a person's name. It should be in the organization's name with atleast 2 authorized signers. If necessary take it to the district office since ultimately, they are the ones that authorized the PTA in the school.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:02 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Why is the account in her name? It should be in the name of the school such as ours "sherwood parents club" The orincipal and other officers have every right to ask to see the books for review matter of fact it is a great idea to have someone do a yearly double check of the books. I would get yur principa involved in this, you say you know for a fact so take your evidence with you.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I agree with twinsplus2more when i was president of a local non-profit group I NEVER had the check book only the treasurer and his back up had it, I was a signer but they had to bring it to me to be signed and EVERY check written had a purpose form filled out and in the flie so we knew what each check was for and had the receipt.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Holy crap! That's awful. Demand to see those books. The more witnesses you have, the better. Perhaps during the next meeting. Make sure the principal is there. Shame on her!
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:30 PM on Mar. 24, 2010