Would you wash your child's mouth out with soap or put hot sauce on their tongue if they said something bad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I've thought about it for talking back. But she's not even 4..so that might be kind of harsh at her age. But I have considered it! It's not gonna kill em'! Just make em' think before popping off, or talking back, or saying something bad!

Would you?
    Kaydens_mommy06

Answer by Kaydens_mommy06 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• No. I think that is abusive.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• No I have better ways to handle it. To me all that teaches is that I am cruel, punishments should fit the behavior and I dont see how hot sauce factors in to saying something bad. I get that the soap is to "clean" your mouth but I still dont approve of it.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:11 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• No. Reprimanding is sufficient.
    Anonymous

• my oldest is not quite 4, and at this time i don't think so, but she's pretty good. If things change and she starts back talking or cursing alot i could consider it. But when i used to work at a day care we were allowed to do certain things as long as the parents knew and gave permission and soap was not allowed by state rules because it can kill them and hot sauce was also not allowed because it's a form of abuse because your intentionally trying to chemically burn their tongue. And you couldn't use food they didn't like because it would cause a further aversion to that food. But you could use food additives like vinegar, pepper, salt, lemon juice. Anything you can add to a food but don't normally eat on it's own was ok as long as it wouldn't burn the child. My daughter hates pepper and mustard so those would probably be the two i'd keep in mind the most.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 2:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• No.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:16 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• No way! I would just tell them certain words are not polite and sometimes adults say them but they are not for kids. Torture does not teach them anything other then that you are being a mean parent! That's very old fashioned and I don't agree with that or spanking. My kids are very well behaved without using these tactics.

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 2:16 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• No. I don't think it's "abusive" (how quick people are to throw that word around), but I don't do it. I put mine in time-out, or spank them if they persist.
    Anonymous

• No. I would always tell them that their language will sow everyone what kind of person they are ....and bad language will show others that they were rude and inconsiderate. And I would let them think about it. But....no soap or hot sauce. It wouldn't teach them anything except that their mom is not a nice person.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 2:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• no... but my son did pitch a fit when we wouldnt let him have the hot sauce at a restraunt..big tantrum, loads of tears and screams... so i said to let him have it...kid turned the bottle up side down and hasnt given us trouble at a restraunt since...
    Anonymous