Which would you choose, Please help?

Would you choose stability over money? My husband is an electrician and somtimes he will work for 3 months or less and then be laid off for up to a month which is when we almost lost our house. My husband had a choice to take a $6 pay decrease doing a totally different trade but have the stability but we will struggle quit a bit or to continue doing electrical work and make the big bucks but not know if we will be in our house the month after next. When my husband asked me what I thought I told him that Im more scared to death him not having a job versus the struggling part because we have a three yr old and a baby due next month and Im a stay at home mom so hes the only income. I dont know if we made the right decision but no one is going to help us next time save our house if hes laid off for a month at a time and the struggling part just sounds more realistic then having no money at all. Did we make the right decision?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think you probably did. He can always do a little side work to make a bit more.
    Anonymous

• yes.. never get into a job that can stop at any moment..my husband did electrical for years and then it stopped due to the economy now he makes 10 a hour working for the city maintenance.. luckily i work but we did take a huge pay cut from 20 something an hour .. but we know he has a craft and can do side work anytime it comes open..thank the lord!
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 2:34 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I would take stability. Over the high paying unstable job. Unless you can save so you can still pay the bills when he is laid off.

Answer by louise2 at 2:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I would take stability and the look for a job myself to help make up the difference. (hard to do with two little ones I know but might be something you can do part time for a few hours after he gets home and can watch the kids, tough decisions there).
    Or like someone said, save so you do have money to pay bills in the down times.
    But I definitely would choose stability and then make sure we adjusted our means to compensate for the change in income.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 2:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• With stability you can sleep better at nights. You can control household spending and such. Hopefully with stability you have good benefits and he can move up in a short time to make up that $6 lost in salary. As some one said he can find part-time weekends to make up that $6 lost.

Anonymous

• OP....Its hard to save when you have no idea how long your husband will be out of work and we couldnt ever get a month ahead on all of our bills so thats out of the question, great idea but just wont work. As far as me working I will be having a baby withen the next 2-3 weeks so that sums that up. Now its possible that I might start babysitting again but thats not stable either trust me. I do feel like we did the right thing though even though times are going to get real tough, I rather my husband have a job then no job.
    Anonymous

• He should take the stable position, and do side work. He can advertise he services for free on Craigslist.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:10 PM on Mar. 25, 2010