how do i get my 2month old to sleep in her crib

she will not sleep in it! she was doing fine at night, giving us good stretches, but lately she flat out refuses to nap in it(only naps in her swing) and at night it's getting harder and harder to get her down then to stay asleep. we go in try to sooth her back to sleep, this can on for hrs before she finally stays asleep.

emmersonsmom

Asked by emmersonsmom at 2:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies that young still have that startle reflex and prefer to feel more snug. Try using a positioner in the crib so she doesn't feel the openess of the crib. My baby is almost 4 months old and will soon be transitioning from basinett to crib, but I still plan on using the positioner until she grows out of it. She also tends to be more of a snuggler than what my first was. Good luck!
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 2:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• The SIDS organizations and experts recommend that you don't use positioners. You can use blankets made to swaddle and there is a Halo swaddle blanket.

It's normal for babies to breastfeed and sleep with their mothers. Babies have done it for all time and still do in most of the world. It is a behavior that is hardwired in their brain for safety and survival. She wants to sleep with you.

I always slept with my babies. Dr. Sears promotes co-sleeping but he also has info on how to get your baby to sleep in it's own bed that won't fit in this spot. You might try going to Dr. Sears' website.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I do use a positioner, and have from the beginning. She has slight reflux that requires her crib to be elevated. We swaddle her get her sleep, place her in the crib and she wakes up within 10min, this can go on for 1 1 1/2 hrs. I am not big on co-sleeping(though, i'd love to cuddle with her 24/7) I am afraid i'd roll on her, or the covers would smoother her.

She also hated the halo blanket, I think it was too hot for her. Who knows, I have a very opinionated lady on my hands:)

Thanks!
    emmersonsmom

Answer by emmersonsmom at 3:46 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• You might be putting her down too early or too late...try changing the time. I found that putting my son down when he was sleepy, no matter what the time on the clock, made a big difference. Maintain the order of the bedtime routine, but don't be wedded to a clock schedule.

The good news? She's normal. Most babies despise their cribs. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 4:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• i may be reading her cues wrong, but she usually seems sleepy. could our routine of, bottle, bath, jammies and cuddling be too long? i do the bottle every 3 3 1/2 hrs, with her night bottle i follow up with the routine.
    emmersonsmom

Answer by emmersonsmom at 5:01 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I know you want her to sleep in her crib, but maybe she needs to get more used to sleeping longer periods at night first. We would swaddle our daughter and then put her in the papasan chair on the floor next to our bed. She slept in that for the first few months. She slept through the whole night. I think she felt more secure. Then when I switched her over to the crib she slept great in it, I think maybe because she was used to sleeping through the night. We also always had the TV on in our bedroom so when we moved her to the crib we played soft lullaby cd's all night. I know some people are against them getting used to that, but hey, she sleeps through the night so whatever works.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 5:21 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My son is 14 months and still will not sleep in his crib.
    It takes tough love, patience, and dedication.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 10:34 PM on Mar. 24, 2010