What is the best thing to use on a child to relieve the itch from mosquito bites?

I should add that I live near a pond and a swampy area and I would love to hear some suggestions for the best repellent, although I doubt I can avoid her getting any bites...She is VERY sensetive to the bites and nothing seems to relieve the itch!!!

KarenTuck

Asked by KarenTuck at 2:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• coritzone cream- is is sensitive enough they even have generic - which is what i use.
    New2Florida

Answer by New2Florida at 2:30 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My son is allergic to mosquitos and now if we go camping or it gets bad around the house he has to have a benedryl as preventative measures, last time he was bit his head swelled up it was not pretty.

There are plants that help keep them away you can plant those around your home, also a weird rememdy for itching is to paint the bite with clear nail polish, no joke its how my grams used to handle it and it works i still use it lol.
    We also bought the clip on fan for my son that is a mosquito replellent, I burn coils and use citronella candles & tikis all over our campsite when we camp. I also spray my son with skintastic before he goes out in the evenings, we live near a creek and it gets bad in the summer months.

I know it all sounds like overkill but he has very serious reactions to the bites so I probably go oeverboard to prevent it.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:37 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Witch Hazel is good. It is in a bottle like alcohol, it relieves the itching.

Answer by louise2 at 2:39 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I havent tried it but I read that a banana peel takes the itching away fast and keeps it away longer.
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 3:34 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I know that if you carry a Downy dryer sheet on your person the mosquitoes tend to keep away from you.
    Anonymous

• DRYER SHEETS DONT WORK IM FROM THE SOUTH AND THE MOSQUITOES ARE BAD.AVON'S SKIN SO SOFT, I ALSO USE OFF BY SKINTASTIC ITS THE BEST !

PLANTS - THAT REPEL MOSQUITO'S
    * Citronella
    * Lavender
    * Basil
    * Catnip
    * Pennyroyal
    * Tansy
    * Marigolds
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 9:09 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• OH AND BEST RELIEF ITCH IS CALADRYL,DEODORANT,& VINEGAR !
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 9:11 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• we live in the tropics so we're always on guard against mozzies! we use a citronella spray to keep them away, tiger balm for itchiness.
    toola

Answer by toola at 3:25 AM on Mar. 25, 2010