water ?

how old are babies when you start to give them water? my Brother in law gave my baby some water and he said it ok? is it?

juliak818

Asked by juliak818 at 2:37 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your "baby" ?? who is how old...

My DD has been drinking water since about 10 months. She didn't die from it.
    Anonymous

• he is 6 months old today
    juliak818

Answer by juliak818 at 2:45 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• A little bit (no more than a couple of ounces a day) is ok starting at about 4-6 months, same as starting solids or juice (many moms prefer to wait until at least 6 months for all three). And then water intake can increase proportionally after that according to how much solid food baby is eating. But primary nutrition, including hydration, should be from breastmilk or formula for the first year, no more than 1/2 - 1 cup of water a day.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:45 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• The reason they say not to give babies water is b/c it can throw off their sodium levels. Some people tend to replace feedings with water, so a few sips is not bad. If your baby is bf there is no need for it for the time being.
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 2:52 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• he is on formula....so its ok for him to have a little water to say wash down his food after he eats?
    juliak818

Answer by juliak818 at 2:59 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My pedi prescribed water from day 3. 4-6 oz a day and then bumped it up to 10-12 oz at 6 months. I wouldn't recommend doing this without the approval of a dr you TRUST! It was the only thing that worked getting my baby to "go" even when I was BF with formula supps (I wasn't making enough milk). But a few sips won't hurt a baby.
    Anonymous

• Babies should have water with their food, usually by cup. Jar food contains a lot of water and you may not need water. If you feed regular food your baby may need some water to help wash the food down.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:05 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Once they are eating solids, it is OK to offer some water in a cup with meals. Not sooner though.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• When my children started eating baby food at 6 months I began introducing water in a cup.
    Anonymous

• I have two children one is 9 and the other is 11 months. I gave both my children water at about 4 months instead of gagging them with a wash cloth to get the milk out of there mouths. They both r fine and love, love water to this day. I only give about 2-4oz. if i can get him to take it.
    crystalcline

Answer by crystalcline at 4:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2010