Am I wrong to be embarrassed by my SO's teeth?

I hate the way I feel, because he is such a good person. He has helped me through so many difficult times in my life...my mom's death being one of them.

He has a lot of problems with his teeth, and he had to get his bottom molars on the right side removed. He also has a few teeth that are brown on the bottom. When he smiles with his mouth CLOSED, he is strickenly handsome...but when he opens his mouth, I feel embarrassed. He is working with a dentist to get partial dentures for those missing teeth, but he hasn't been able to go because he worked overnight and catches up with his sleep during the day (his work schedule SUCKS...lol).

Am I wrong to feel embarrassed? Doesn't love overlook a person's physical imperfections? My teeth aren't perfectly white, I have a noticeable scar on the bridge of my nose...my toes are all jacked up (claw toes, etc), but he nevers says anything about it to make me feel bad or unloved.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• I don't want to call you wrong, but can't think of another wrong so pick some thing less indefinite to mean what I am trying to say. My dh has extremely crooked yellow, cavity filed teeth, His face is covered in acne, and I am told he smell like a trash can. Though I don't notice those things. To me he is perfect, I love him flaws and all. The only thing that ever embarrasses me is when he gropes me in public or talks about our sex life. That's just cause I don't like looking like a sex object yet am still happy he feels that way. I can't understand how you feel though so I can't say you are wrong. If you love him try and over look the flaws and focus on his good points.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:06 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I don't think you should be embarrassed, but you can't help the way you feel, I guess. At least he is trying to do something about it.
    My DH and I have dental problems that we can't afford to get fixed.
    Anonymous

• Yes and no, Yes to be judmental about it and feel actual emabarassment I think it wrong. To be concerned about the issues and want him to do what needs to be done to fix it is not wrong.

My DH had parents who thought of seeing a dentist as a something only rich people did (no joke) I was raised with a aunt who worked in dentistry, I was taught how important it was and when i was little her dental office was my play ground.

I took my DH to the dentist and we are working on his issues and there is a huge difference, nothing as extreme as you described but still he had problems.

If you can push him to take care of it in a loving , supportive, kick you in the pants sort of way then there is nothing wrong with that but saying he is an ebarassment to you is sad. You said your self this man is more than his teeth and you need to put that first in your mind and teach him to take care of his health/teeth.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:50 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My ex husband had all his bottom teeth and his top front teeth but was missing several from the sides on top. I was never embarrassed and never gave it a thought. He actually got full top dentures and I think he looks silly now.
    Please don't let hubby know you think badly of him. I'm sure his dental problems cause him enough insecurity as it is.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Just don't let him know. Thats hurtful. It's embarrassing I know...
    PhatAttack

Answer by PhatAttack at 3:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2010