Is she being unreasonable?

I take care of 3 kids during the day in my house...I also have 2 kids.....all of them are under the age of 3 .....we live on a fairly busy street , and I only take my own kids out when I have someone else here to go out with me ( my husband).......

the weather is getting nice now and the kids mom told me she wants me to start taking them outside ..I told her ( everytime she brings it up) I am not really comfortable doing it but she insisted becasue she doesnt want them couped up all day ( I have them from early morning, to evening) ....... I cant just quit, because I rely on the money...and I cant just tell her I took them out ( and not really go out) because the oldest always tells her everything lol....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• that sucks, tell her its too busy a street or have her buy a cage for the little ones, or leashes
    Anonymous

• you're unreasonable. IMHO
    It is NOT unreasonable for a mother to want her children to get out of the house and play outside on good weather days.
    If you can't do anything without someone with you, I'd say you have a bit of social anxiety. And if that isn't the case, then if you can't do things alone, you probably shouldn't be watching children for a living.
    Anonymous

• I understand both points of view. Could you pack them up and take them to a park a couple times a week? Maybe there is one within walking distance. That would be a few strollers so that would suck but kids shouldn't be inside all day. But I understand that they need to be safe and you are being very responsible trying to keep them as safe as you can.

Good Luck.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 3:04 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• to the PP....I dont want to take them out in the yard alone....I am too afriad to take 5 kids under the age of 3 ( two 1 year olds, one, 2 year old , 3 year old, and 6 month old) and I live ona busy street.......

it is a safety issue not an anxiety issue,
    Anonymous

• Be honest, she is right they need some outside play your kids and hers daily especially when it is nice out. What the heck od they do all day in the house?

Try to find someone to help you for some time during the day, or find a way to make it work. Do you have a car? Do you have a wrist band thing- that attaches all the kids in a line.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 3:04 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I had one child and baby sat three others, I took them out side near a highway and took them to my son's doc appointments. All by myself. She is asking a reasonable request...you should be doing it already, she shouldn't have to ask.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:06 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• if you can't keep up with 5 kids outside, you shouldn't be keeping children for a living.
    Anonymous

• Neither of you are being "unreasonable." I understand both sides of the situation, especially the OP's. I am not confident watching so many kids outside by myself.

Do you not have a fenced backyard?
    Anonymous

• I forgot to add....The kids were: 3, 18months x 2 and 14 months.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Doesn't she understand the safety risk?? 1 grown up for 5 kids under 3 years old is not enough for taking them out front if it's not totally fenced in. How could she push for outside play in this circumstance? Yes, she is being unreasonable. Sure, she wants them outside, so she can take them. Next time she asks, instead of saying you're "not comfortable" tell her, "It's not safe" because she can't really argue with that.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:09 PM on Mar. 24, 2010