Why is it more socially acceptable to see a 5 year old sucking his/her thumb than a 5 year old with a pacifier?

Just curious what people think.
It's just that I realized that if I see an older kid with a pacifier I think "Why wouldn't their parents just take it away." but if I see a kid with a thumb in their mouth, I don't even think twice.

Maybe because it's easier to physically take away a pacifier?

BatGirl1415

Asked by BatGirl1415 at 3:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think you answered your own question :)

Parents can't take the kid's thumb away so it's more acceptable because it's just a trait their child has but allowing them to have a soother at that age appears to be lazy parenting. They'd rather just let their child keep the soother rather than deal with the child's reaction to having it taken away.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:28 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Because the pacifier shows laziness on the parents' part. The kid with the thumb soothes themselves,not using a pacifier to shut the kid up.
    Anonymous

• I don't think either one is acceptable. They can both become very bad habits, and can do some serious damage to the teeth if it lasts to long. My daughter use to suck her thumb...all i had to do was take it out of her mouth and she eventually quit, but she isn't one. You let them do it to long, good luck getting them to stop.
    Anonymous

• Take it from me. My daughter hated pacifiers thank goodness, but she loved her thumb. From about 3 hours after she was born up until February she sucked her thumb. She will be 8 in august. Now last year she didn't suck her thumb for 3 months. We put a rake in her mouth because we wanted the habit to stop. Had to take it out because her two front teeth came out. Well she started sucking her thumb again when her visits with her father went from 1 day to 2-3 days. I had the rake put back in in february. No thumb sucking, but the dentist showed me how her two front teeth were when they came in and how they were in february. BIG DIFFERENCE>
    MommyB2010

Answer by MommyB2010 at 3:32 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I don't think either one is acceptable.
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 3:32 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I don't have a problem with a 5 year old with a pacifier. I would assume the child wasn't breastfed and the parents were humane enough to let the child have a pacifier.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:33 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• neither one is good for the child because it causes their teeth to grow improperly..then the parent will pay for it years down the road with retainers and braces
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:39 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• i would not accept either one with my child...if i saw another child with a passy i would think the parents are push overs and with a thumb in the mouth i would think maybe they just have whacked their hand hard enough
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:43 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I sucked my left index finger until I was 7. My teeth weren't that bad, but I did get braces anyway.
    My index finger actually permanently curves backwards more than my other one because of it. HAHA. It's kinda funny.
    BatGirl1415

Answer by BatGirl1415 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• sorry...just havent whacked. give the kid a good whackin
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:48 PM on Mar. 24, 2010