What would you do if you came home and discovered that in one 6 hour period, your 14 year old son had eaten 9 candy bars?

I visited my mom yesterday so I wasn't home after school. I keep sweets in a "goody" drawer and when I left there were 12 candy bars. When I got home there were only 3. I looked in his room and there are candy wrappers everywhere. My daughter does not like chocolate so I know she didn't eat any. I am flabbergasted! How would you discipline him?

And there is plenty of food in the house besides candy so he didn't eat it because he was starving to death.

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 3:48 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• teenage boys are...well lazy and don't grasp the concept that they are capable of preparing food for themselves...they'd rather grab something they can unwrap and eat....that's just he way they are haha
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:50 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My advice would be to choose your battles.

Is it a huge deal if he pigged out on candy bars? Is it worth fighting with each other over?
    Maybe just tell him that you'd prefer it if he didn't eat all of the candy bars because it's not healthy and because they're for everyone, not just him.

I wouldn't get too worked up about it though.

If you take a step back and look at it from an outside perspective, it's really kind of funny. :)
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:51 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I have found my son to have eaten mutliple snack size ones before, but, he knows, once they are gone...he has no more until the alloted time has passed. Meaning..12 bars=12 days. Same with cereal...I have a measuring cup for him to portion with. No real punishment, just no more for a while.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:51 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I would put the snacks in a locked cabinet. I would make him eat a salad for dinner. For a week.

Answer by louise2 at 3:52 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I have a 25 yo old son, he used to ask for steak sandwiches for breakfast when he was in highschool.

Your son is a kid. He'll either puke or he won't. He's old enough to be able to be silly and stupid now and then. Let it be. If he's not also on drugs or alcohol, a father or soon to be father with failing grades then in the reality of the world eating 9 candy bars in one day is nothing to freak out over.

His full stomach is his punishment enough. Save punishment at that age for important things.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I'm not really angry, just shocked that one person would eat all that sugar at once...it's just crazy to me.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 3:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• louise2...you are such a hard nose. Geeze. You might wanna ease up a bit on your kids. All your replys today are hard core.
    Anonymous

• i wouldnt keep candy bars conviently in the house. I would only by them every now and again like if we stopped to get gas i would allow him to have one.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I would laugh! 14 year old boys do stupid stuff like that. I like the response from BradenIsMySon......he can't have a candy bar for 9 days.

My son doesn't eat many sweets, but I can totally see him eating 12 corn dogs or 12 little frozen pizzas.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 3:56 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• His bedroom looks like a candy bar hurricane swept through there! It's just insane!
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 3:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2010