Hypothetical question: What would you do if you discovered your DH/SO was growing pot?

Like say you never go to your underground basement, or like a cellar or something, but you go down there for whatever reason and find a bunch of pot plants (or a meth lab, or something like that). What would you do? Call the cops? Leave it and confront your DH?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Meth lab would be outta there, along with the hubby. At least until he got clean. With the pot, there would be a huge discussion on the ability of the po po to seize and take control of everything we own...to include take custody of our child. Regardless of the quantity of plants. I was a personal witness of this happening to a someone who had a few plants in his basement. True story.
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 4:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Pot plants and a meth lab are two completely different things. Your house doesn't run the risk of blowing up or being filled with toxic fumes from growing plants.

Are there a lot of plants? I'd be concerned if there was a significantly sized grow-op in my house but if it was just a couple of plants then I wouldn't be too concerned.
    However the laws on marijuana where I live are very different from the laws in the states.

I'd confront your husband about it before calling the cops on him over pot plants.
    A meth lab? I would get my kids and my photos and get the hell out of that house and call the police to come get rid of it.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 4:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Well I sure as heck would not call the cops. They can seize your house even if you knew nothing about it, and I would not want to get my house taken by the feds just because my spouse was doing something stupid. I would honestly feel different about pot plants than I would a meth lab. You cannot blow up your house growing pot like you could cooking meth. Cooking meth in the house would have been putting our kids at a whole different kind of risk than growing pot. But even the risks of growing pot would not be acceptable. I would dispose of his operation and kick him out.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 4:11 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• No, I wouldn't call the cops. Why tear apart my own life? That would be crazy to me. I would confront him about the legal and safety implications for our daughter and I would get out of there until he got read of it all because I would not want to be criminally implicated.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 4:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• First I would tell my DH to get rid of the stuff, NOW. If he didn't. I would. If he just refused to get rid of it, I would go to the police.

Answer by louise2 at 4:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• OP Here: No, seriously this is a hypothetical question. (And apparently a really bad one, seeing as I didn't realize a meth lab could blow up your house...).

In that case, let's just stick to pot. LOL
    Anonymous

• yeah, pot i would confront him and tell him i do not want it there and he needs to find somewhere else to hoard that stuff...and i would also tell him if he is dealing that then i will not be in his life because i will not risk losing him if he were to get caught. If he was just growing it for his own personal use then it wouldnt bother me...just not at our house or our property.
    The meth lab..i would be so out and yes i would call the cops
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• if it were pot plants I'd be cool with it only if it were a small amt. and personal use. Meth lab is a no no. Not only would he be risking blowing up the house and killing us all, but that is major jail time. Pot means jailtime too, but you can be more discrete with that, and it doesnt make you all freaked out like meth does
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:15 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I would just tell him he was a dumbass and get rid of it.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 4:15 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I would be sure to take pictures of everything, then pack my kids and my stuff up and get out of the house. I would NOT want my kids exposed to that crap and I would not want to risk loosing my kids due to my hubby being stupid. As soon as the kids and I were out of the house I would be calling a lawyer and starting the ball rolling for custody and a divorce, and give the lawyer the photos.
    Anonymous