I need help! (breastfeeding question)

When I wake up in the morning if DS didn't wake up at night to nurse I get a plugged duct and it takes sometimes days to get it out. I'm trying to ween him now and I've just dropped the night feeding cause he doesn't wake at night anymore and one afternoon one that was never really "needed" anyway. WEll I've got ANOTHER plugged duct (no fever) should I want to continue to ween, I guess I just need advice on this..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:20 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Slow down with weaning, you need to give your body time to adjust. Be sure your bra isn't too tight and don't sleep on your belly..
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:39 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• slow down. only drop 1 feeding about every 1-2 weeks.. it takes time to get milk supply up when u begin nursing & it takes it time to slow down as well..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:02 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I wouldn't drop the night feeding first that is a long time to go without pumping or anything. Get up at night and pump. Drop one of the day feedings first. Or instead of weaning by dropping a feeding, try the method where you pump just enough to relieve the pressure, but not empty the breast completely. This will slowly tell your body that you don't need as much milk.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 5:17 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I've read a few places that clogged ducts can be caused by having too much calcium in your diet. It's not always the reason but if you're consuming tons of dairy products, try cutting back by half or so, more if you take any kind of calcium supplement. It's worth a try, right?
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 5:27 PM on Mar. 24, 2010