Whose right: Doctor and Nutritionist or WIC?

My DS's doctor sent us to the infant nutritionist when my DS turned 4 months to get him started on solids (cereal and purees). The doctor had noticed advanced signs of being ready to eat and wanted the nutritionist to evaluate his need to start as well. All went well and we were told to start him on stage ones as well as cereal. They kept a close eye on him and said everything was fine. He had no reactions (no vomit, no diarrea, no constipation, etc) and his crankiness for food stopped as well (he was demanding food so much that he was eating 5-6 ounces every 2-3 hours). So now, 2 months later, he is still eating solids very well and eating his recommended amount of formula. My concern is, we just had our WIC appointment, where we went to the class on solids since he just turned 6 months. They said NEVER start before 6 months. My jaw was on the floor! The doctor said all was fine, but I feel I did something wrong! Suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd trust the worst doctor in the world before I listened to anything someone at WIC said. They are not professionals.
    ArkTech

Answer by ArkTech at 4:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I started all 4 of my kids on cereal and then veggies/fruits at 4 months. Twelve years ago that's what I was advised to do by my pediatrician and none of my kids have allergies or any health problems (they are 12, 10, 8 and 15 months). Now it is generally recommended to wait until at least 6 months in most cases, but many babies have had solids earlier with no problems. You're fine!

Answer by missanc at 4:31 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• all wic office ever talks about in that case is obesity
    Anonymous

• In general, they recommend not starting solids till 6 months old. But as with any rule, there are exceptions. If a doctor and a nutricionist said your baby was ready for solids, I'd go with their opinion.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:34 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Yes, don't listen to WIC. They are not doctors and don't know everything. Trust the person who went to medical school and has a practice.
    Anonymous

• I personally wouldn't have given solids. I would have found a different formula in that case. If i did do solids, cereal is pretty void of nutritional value and I would not have not given it.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• When my son's pedi suggested starting solids right before he turned 4months I just told my WIC counselor & they were fine with it as long as the doctor was fine with it. My hubs & I were both given solids before we were 4months old & we're both fine...no allergies, no food-related health problems, etc. The whole 6month thing is a generalized time-frame. Every baby is different. Don't beat yourself up about it...if your lil guy is doing fine that is all that matters. =)
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 4:45 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• The wic people overreact (sp) sometimes. Go with the Doc
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 4:59 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I would trust the doctor. WIC sees fat babies where there are healthy babies and overfed babies where there is a baby that eats different than most. My oldest ate 5 oz every 5 hours when he was little baby. They say a baby should eat 2 to 3 oz every 2 to 3 hours. What is the difference? Nothing. Mine just ate more at once. He wasn't spitting up or anything. They have also told me my baby was fat when he was in the 95 percentile for both height and weight.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 5:04 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Delaying solids gives baby's digestive system time to mature.
    If solids are started before a baby's system is ready to handle them, they are poorly digested and may cause unpleasant reactions (digestive upset, gas, constipation, etc.). Protein digestion is incomplete in infancy. Gastric acid and pepsin are secreted at birth and increase toward adult values over the following 3 to 4 months. The pancreatic enzyme amylase does not reach adequate levels for digestion of starches until around 6 months, and carbohydrate enzymes such as maltase, isomaltase, and sucrase do not reach adult levels until around 7 months. Young infants also have low levels of lipase and bile salts, so fat digestion does not reach adult levels until 6-9 months.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 5:09 PM on Mar. 24, 2010