Why is it that some people need "God's help" in order to forgive others and become better people, but others don't?

Of the devout Christians I know personally, essentially all of them say that God has transformed them inwardly. They often describe how, before they "met God", they held onto anger and resentments, and could not let go of various inward conflicts which led to unhappiness in their lives. They emphasize that it has been essential to "maintain a relationship" with God in order for them to be their best selves. However, I have also met people who have been able to make these same inward transformations without "God's help". For some it was therapy which helped them change, for others it was a certain philosopher or other famous speaker, and for some it was simply a change they decided to make for themselves. So, why is it that some people insist they need God in order to be able to be virtuous, loving, forgiving, etc., but others say God is not necessary for this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• If God was taken away from them, they would resort back their old selves because religion is a band aid- not a cure. They need to heal from the inside out. Learn to love, trust and have faith in themselves. In that way, they will be strong enough to take whatever comes their way and not need to turn to myths for comfort or answers.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:59 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• A small few of them brainwashed to literally believe that they are completely worthless and incapable of anything good in the world, therefore anything they do do is not through their own will and abilities, but of god.

They make themselves less than human. It's heartbreaking.
    Anonymous

• Because some people don't believe they need a "god" to help them with their life. I make my own choices not some mythical creature in the sky.
    ArkTech

Answer by ArkTech at 4:46 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Some use god as a crutch. I do tend to turn to the bible for reminders. However I don't use it as a crutch my GM does though. I am Christian but will admit there are four people I refuse to forgive with good reason, but it's not cause I can't It's cause I wont give them the satisfaction of what they did being justified through forgiveness. Often I feel it's wrong, but don't care I refuse to give them that power that because I am Christian I will forgive them. I am not speaking a name calling from some one here.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:49 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• It all boils down to personal choices. How one gets to inward peace individually does not matter to me.
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 5:05 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• ihartu that's not entirely true I grew into who I am before I found god. I found god because of who I am. For some though your logic does fit. Just not all of us.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:34 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• hot-mama86... you obviously had a void in your life and were not complete with yourself because you sought an outside source to fill said void. People only feel a need for god or religion when something is missing from their lives and from themselves.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:36 AM on Mar. 25, 2010