What are other low budget toddler activities? ( i know of ymca and gymboree)

I am a student mom supported by, you guessed it mom and dad, so i would like to know of some activities for my daughter to socialize and have fun with other toddlers. She isnt in day care so its hard to find places to tak her.I live in rosenberg TX

ekb101286

Asked by ekb101286 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Look for a local playgroup. Churches, clubs (i.e. Welcome Wagon, Newcomers and Neighbors, etc) often have them. you might also be able to find one on-line. Watch your local newspaper as well. Libraries and bookstores have storytime which is a good way to meet other families for playdates.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:51 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• You are so close to so much! I don't know the cost, but the Houston zoo is awesome. For the next couple of months (before it gets crazy hot) parks will be great, and free.  At this age even a trip to the mall during less busy hours can be fun, especially if there is a play area.  Library and bookstore storytimes are free.  Many museums are free and many have areas specifically for children.  If you have transportation you're not too far for day trips to the beach.  Going out for ice cream can be a fun treat for your little one, and it won't break the bank.  I can't remember exactly where it is, but I know there used to be a small water park near there that was mainly for smaller children, and I think it was pretty inexpensive.  You could try finding a playgroup that fits your schedule at playgroupsusa.com.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:25 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Our library has a free dance/music group that meets once a week for kids 0-5.

Check out MeetUp.com also. Great place to sign up for different groups that meet for all sorts of things.
    CarrieGemenon19

Answer by CarrieGemenon19 at 6:16 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• The library is great! Also, check out your local city Parks and Recreation Department. Ours offers all kinds of classes for toddlers/preschoolers that are much lower cost than gymboree or the Y.

Answer by missanc at 7:50 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Looks like all the ladies covered my favorite low cost or no cost things to do. Going to the park, hitting the library. I dont know if your area has this or not but for where i live there is a parents magazine that highlights events in stores and different parts of the state for children that arent in preschool. We love the parks especially early in day since no one is there to bully dd.
    frndlyfn

Answer by frndlyfn at 4:08 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I joined momslikeme.com. You can click on your nearest city and join there. Then all the women on the group are moms in your area. They often tell of many playdates and cheap activities. For example, in my town, there is a toddler open gym on MWF mornings for only $2. I have gone every week. My DS gets to play and i get adult interaction.
    I would also add the library or toy stores. My DS likes to go to the bookstore and play with a train set they have.
    And for what it's worth, I don't call Gymboree or YMCA low-budget. :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• In what universe is Gymboree "low budget"!!! They are totally outrageous

Public libraries have story time weekly, the mall by my house does a music and story time each week also. I would check out craigslist for some mommy play groups in your neighborhood
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 9:38 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Most of our local churches have a Mothers Morning Out where you can drop off your little ones one morning per week. It is very similar to preschool. You can also go to the park. There are always other kids at the park to play with. Check for local playgroups as well.
    Heather881029

Answer by Heather881029 at 10:34 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Check out your local library. OUrs does craft days and story readings. OUr home depot does a free craft day once a month. Check out your area and see if you have a MOM with Tots program. Also the park is a great place to meet moms with kids the same age.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I found a wonderful local moms group on meetup.com, which I see someone else also suggested. You can find all sorts of groups on there. Libraries are a great idea. A lot of towns have indoor play places, like Pump It Up, which looks like is near you in Houston and in Spring. That's a great place, and you can play, too! =) They have big inflatable stuff, like bounce houses and a big inflatable slide. My son has a blast, and he's been going since he was about 14 months. Google "indoor play Rosenberg, TX" and see what pops up (that's what I just did!).
    I love our meetup playgroup. We now know moms and kids of all ages, all backgrounds, and we've been going since I was pregnant. We do everything from playdates at homes to park days to Halloween parties, tea parties, baby play dates, and mom's night out. Plus, it's good for me!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:18 PM on Mar. 25, 2010