Cat vomiting

I have noticed lately that my 2 year old cat has been vomiting once or twice a week or so. Sometimes a hairball accompanies, sometimes not. It's normally greenish yellow colored. He just did it twice again today. The first was with hairball, the second was not, but was within 5 minutes of the hairball. Is this normal, or something he needs to get checked out? He has been otherwise normal, playing at night, eating normally as far as I can tell, and drinking normally too. He is an indoor only cat, and has not been outside in almost 6 months if that makes a difference.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 4:52 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Pets

• It sounds like hairballs, I would switch to a high grade indoor formula. I like Nutro the best, it will reduce shedding and ease the tummy. Also I can't recall the name but there is a paste you can buy at the pet store that helps to line the stomach and help the hair make it out the other end in a far less disgusting way. Personally, I keep my kitty's shaved over the summer. I HATE the little white tufts of fur my longhair leaves EVERYWHERE she goes in the summer.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 5:04 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Well, I don't know if it's normal, but I know one of my cats does the same thing, almost every day. Usually with a hairball, sometimes without. She's been doing it for as long as I've had her, since she was 6 weeks old, and she's now 15. So yeah, I don't think it hurts her at all. My other cats don't do it. Cats are just weird. And gross sometimes :P

By the way, all my cats are indoors, too.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I was wondering if the increase in it could be because it's getting warmer? He's a long haired cat and he is shedding like crazy, so is there a possibility of it being him getting more hairballs from cleaning himself with a bunch of loose hair? Other than brushing, what can be done for that?
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• baths can help.you can try giving it vaseline to lube up his tummy for furball passage.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 5:04 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I had the same problem wwith my cat so i put him on science diet hairball control and haven't had any problems since.
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 5:09 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Hehe, you said "shaved kitty"... Sorry, juvenile, just had to giggle. But yeah, when they're shedding (this time of year) they would definitely ingest more hair. Shaving helps, so does daily brushing with one of those brushes that takes out the undercoat. I just think some cats are more prone to hairballs than others. Mine is one of a litter of three, all long hair, and the other two groom every bit as much, but never seem to have a hairball.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2010