Sore Loser

My son is 5 years old (will be 6 in July) and is having a hard time dealing with losing at games. We have played board games and he gets all upset and crys when he loses. I have tried to explain to him he cant win everytime, and that it is ok to lose. I have also lost and tried to set a good example for him. I just dont know what else to do! Any ideas on how to get him to understand?

mrsmamaj

Asked by mrsmamaj at 4:54 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• This is another one that I always have trouble with too. It is important for him to lose and it is important for him to see others reactions when they lose. Some people never grow out of it they just learn to cope better with it. I would continue to play games with him and if you honestly win, let it be that. When he wins congratulate him and don't make too much of a fuss over it, congrats move on. Watch team sports and point out someone wins and someone looses. I find boys are harder to deal with this. GL
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:38 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My son did this until....when I lost I acted like he does...this happened a few times and he was shocked that I acted that way and he stopped doing it.
    mbc324

Answer by mbc324 at 4:28 PM on Mar. 25, 2010