why give us free will if he will have such a rash punishment for not complying?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The question is, what kind of demented, twisted mind would create an imperfect creature like mankind and THEN make it impossible for them to succeed in their journey towards heaven. Yahweh by any name is a vicious, insane tyrant. Worship me or go to hell for eternity is NOT free will. Nor is obedience out of fear.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 10:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Al Pacino in Devil's Advocate said it best"

"He gives man instincts. He gives you this extraordinary gift, and then what does He do, I swear for His own amusement, his own private, cosmic gag reel, He sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time. Look but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste, don't swallow."

If I'm gonna be punished so severely for going against his word based on instincts he gave me, then don't give them to me. No point to such instincts if we can't use them without him punishing us.
    Anonymous

• Free will to make the right choices, or to learn from your mistakes.
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 5:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Free will does come with responsibility. We live in a free country yet still have punishments for crimes.The only things I see in the bible as rules are the ten commandments The rest are suggestions for having a happy healthy, fulfilling, righteous life. life. Suggestion how to aviod situations in which you may become sinful.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Yeah God could have forgiven Adam and Eve. Then Adam would have went unpunished, no lesson learned. I think God having a "sweep everything under the rug attitude" would no have been so good either. Remember, all the angels were probably watching the episode unfold. One of Gods qualities is justice and that is exactly what He, God, administered to Adam and Eve. Unfortunaltely, we have to deal with that mess. Aint fun. The important thing to rmember is that God can and will undo it all one day.

Phillipians 3:14 Encouraging scripture.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 5:56 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Oh one more thing....if we use our free will to love Him and obey Him, he will give us justice too. In the good way, I mean. Free will works good if you choose wisely.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:04 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• God’s intelligent creatures are granted free moral agency, the privilege and responsibility of making a personal decision as to the course they will take. (De 30:19, 20; Jos 24:15)
    Just as when someone wants to become an American Citizen they take a test and than must promise to obey the Laws set by the Government, if they don't they are denied Citizenship and may face deportation.....
    Jehovah as Sovereign set Laws too that He made clear to Adam and Eve, a condition of Citizenship was to always follow God's Law (don't eat from My Tree) that Tree represented Jehovah's authority as King to set the Standards of right and wrong, by taking and eating from that Tree Adam was in effect saying He wanted to set his own standards of good and bad or right and wrong...... Adam rejected Jehovah's Sovereignty as King and threw away the gift of everlasting life not only for himself but for all his offspring too.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 6:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• It's the illusion of "free will". IN reality, any religion or god that dictates "follow me or ELSE!" neither offers free will or expects you to use it.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• There is no free will. To have free will you would have to be totally free of outside influence. Nobody lives in a vacuum.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:16 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Is it punishment that you recieve or is it what you have asked for?

Really it's both. Look at it this way, if you don't want God and you reject him why would he force your obedience, love and devotion? If he did force it, would he still be a fair, just and loving God? True love and devotion is not forced. It's all about giving everyone a fair chance to come to Him on their own, of their own free will. You have your whole life to make that decision, but no one knows how long that will be. He gives us many opportunities to change our course in life.

NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2010