Best acne remedies?

I will be twenty-four next week. However, I still have the complexion of a fourteen year old! I have tried ProActiv twice, and while the acne did clear up slightly, it made my skin dry and red too (even with their moisturizers). My doctor even prescribed my a pill for it when I was a teenager, but it did not work well. A combined use of witch hazel and St Ives Apricot Scrub seems to give me the best results (without side effects, at that), but I still have new blemishes every day (not to mention a ton of blackheads and HUGE MOON CRATER pores!) ANY ADVICE?! I would prefer to keep the remedies natural, as I have (obviously) sensitive skin.

KarmicChild

Asked by KarmicChild at 5:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Acne is due to bacteria so it's important to keep the skin clean. I suffered as a young woman and now have adult acne (rosecea) and it just sucks! You may need antibiotics. I had to take them for years then have dry ice and ether treatments. I have no idea if they even do those anymore. I hear ya on the moon craters. My back looks like the moon surface! My doctor now gives me a cream to take care of the surface bacteria and a moisturizer (both prescriptions).

Answer by admckenzie at 5:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I didn't develop mild acne UNTIL I was 24; it's due to stress and hormones. That was a number of years ago, and like you, I tried EVERYthing. Learning to combat stress has helped, increasing my water and I use Clean & Clear. Their "Advantage" acne system has taught me that benzoyl peroxide is needed in my cleanser NOT salicylic acid! Whenever I used systems with salicylic acid in the wash/cleanser, I broke out MORE! I still have blemishes, but nowhere near what they have been in the past. I also have to exfoliate more, so I use the Neutrogena Dermabrasion kit a few times each week. Good luck!
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 5:44 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I would go to a dermatologist.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:50 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I wash with the orange clean & clear pump soap. Then use "tea tree oil" on a cotton ball on certain areas. It's wonderful. You will get to point in a few days of only needing to dap it on your bad spots, not your whole face. DO NOT get it in your eyes. Do this every night. You will see a difference. I promise.
    ps--it's in the pharmacy section in any store.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 6:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• are you on birth control? that can contribute to acne. cutting out sugar can improve your skin dramatically.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:33 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• U may want to see a doctor again. My son had nodular acne. It is the kind that leave those pitting scars on ones face. This type of acne comes from within, not from eating chocolate or not washing your face enough. They put him on an antibiotic and two different creams, and told him he would eventually grow out of it. He did. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:33 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Go to your dermatologist. I did and he put me on accutane and it was the BEST thing I have ever done!!!!! I had it horribly bad and since taking the med I have just one or two here and there. You take it once a day for 5 months and don't ever have to worry about it again. Like the PP said, it is from within, that is why creams don't make it completely go away. This is the only pill "in the world" (as my derm put it) that will CURE it, not treat it but cure it. I do not have one regret. Now I am going to see a surgeon for the scars. Good luck!
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 11:29 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• PM me for more information.
    nakoal87