Decorating...need color/decor savvy ladies!

I'm moving into a new house this weekend and need to buy new living room furniture. Here's the color palette.

The floor is a dark wood, almost black. The walls are mostly gray with white trim and there is one red accent wall, with white trim. The red is more of a yellowish red than a bluish red.

If I could pick anything I would have white furniture, but that is out b/c I have two small dogs and a toddler. The last time I had a white couch was a total disaster.

What color furniture/rugs/curtains do you think would look nice?

moniquinha

Asked by moniquinha at 5:20 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Home & Garden

• unless this is your permanent home, I wouldn't buy furnature to match the house. If it is your permanent home, going with a nuteral and/or a style that can be easily coordinated into other color palates.
    Anonymous

• Sage green
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Beige, cream, charcoal, black, or taupe would work for furniture. I'd go with light curtains since the floor is so dark..

Yellow or gold would also be nice for the furniture if you want a little more color. I saw a room done in gray, yellow, and white with red accents that looked great.
    Anonymous

• First question- is the color scheme for the walls one you put up or is it one that came with the house? If it came with the house, are you maybe thinking of changing it? In either case, if you're keeping it, try and find some things that almost match the colors and then go see if you can find a rug or fabric that has some, if not most of the colors in it. I'd go from that as a start. I always like to keep colors/furnishings in scheme with the style of the house. Like a formal type-victorian type decor would look silly in a beach style bungalow.

Is it possible to live with what you have, or maybe nothing in the living room for a few weeks to a month and see what might come to you? I've done that, couldn't figure out what color to do my room, then woke up one morning after a dream of sleeping in it a grayed-plum. Went out that day and found the perfect color. Good luck, pm me if I can help any more.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 5:31 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• would you consider white leather furniture? we have been thinking of re doing our office and i found some furniture at modernlinefurniture.com
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:31 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I would paint the walls a pale yellow, keep the white trim, and furnish with olive green microfiber furniture! Microfiber is GREAT when you have little ones and pets! Clean up is SO easy!

Select toss pillows, botanical prints, an area rug and/or throw blankets that "pull" the olive, yellow, and dark brown colors together. I would also go with antique white painted end tables/coffee table, for a cozy look.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:09 PM on Mar. 27, 2010