Suggestions for longer-term birth control.

I have a 1 year old and am terrified of getting pregnant again. I may want another in 3-5 years, but definitely not now. I want some suggestions on long-term birth control (IUD's, Depo). What have you used? What had the least complications? I have always been on the pill but want something stronger and that is more long-term. I don't have a gyno. appt. until two months from now, so I'm doing some research. Thanks!

danielp

Asked by danielp at 5:30 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No sex?
    Anonymous

• I have the mirena and I LOVE it!!!! I've only been using it for three months, but I haven't had any problems so far... My sister has used the mirena for going on eight years without any complications.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 5:34 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Besides condoms and not having sex when I was fertile I've never used any kind of birth control. The severe side effects you here in commercials were enough to scare me, plus I'm not good at remembering when to take pills. But after my daughter was born I did some looking into my options and I choose to have the Depo shot at my 6 week pp OB visit. It doesn't have the "heart attack, stroke, blood clot" severe "side effects" you here about and as far as what I've seen long term use (years) can cause bone density to decrease. I'm very happy with the depo shot. I did NOT have any of the heavy bleeding for months like some women have and from my very first shot I have not had a period. I only plan on staying on it about 2 years before we either try again or decide we are done and he gets snipped...so it's a good temporary and safe option for me right now.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I have the paraguard copper 10 year IUD. I love it. I haven't had any problems with it at all. I have a one year old also. I have had my IUD for about 6 months now. It was very easy getting it put in. It took about 10 minutes and the pain only lasted about 30 seconds. I had regular bleeding about like a period for about 3 days after I had it put in and no problems since then, I forget that is even there. And it can be removed just as easily as it was put in if you decide to have to more kids down the road...
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 5:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• BTW, I did the depo shot before... The shot HURTS going in, my old doctor told me it was because of the steroids in it. But the liquid is so thick you can actually hear it "gurgling" into your arm. If you aren't very good with needles (and I usually do pretty good) then the depo is defiantly not for you
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 5:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Um Absitence. Oh Condoms too. Use the new trojans... yeah
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 5:37 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Abstinence when you're married? Um, yeah right. Condoms are not very reliable, either!
    Anonymous

• DId depo give you acne? I've heard that and that it can make you gain like 30 lbs!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:39 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Same with momma_marian, the only complaint I had was from hubby feeling the string but I went in and had it cut, no problems since then
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 5:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I was on depo after my daughter. Had the first shot at my 6wk appt. I was 18 at the time and was on it for a little over a year. It was AWFUL!!!! It worked, I'll give it that- I didn't get pregnant. And I enjoyed not having my period. But it sent me straight into menopause. Hot flashes, night sweats, horrible mood swings, I was and emotional wreck, had trouble sleeping, my hair thinned out (and I'm convinced it hasn't been the same since) and I gained about 35lbs. I hated it! And then it took about a year and a half AFTER my last shot had worn off (so counting from three months after my last shot) for me to get my period again. Then, it took us a year and a half to get pregnant with our son. I don't know if that had to do with it or not, but it is a side effect.
    But I've heard it works great for some people. I guess you just don't know until you try it. Good luck! I hope this info helps...
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 5:57 PM on Mar. 24, 2010