Planning a Cheap wedding

What are some options to planning a cheap wedding.
I'm already making my own Wedding cake and desserts and having our guests bring a dish.
Any other ideas out there?
Especially if you had a cheap wedding, I'll definitely take some advice.

Thanks

Ashleigh_17

Asked by Ashleigh_17 at 5:34 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• There is lady in the CAFEMOM category selling her wedding stuff cheap. Check her out

Answer by admckenzie at 5:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Ipod playlist, only provide beer, no champagne toast (they say that is the single biggest waste of $$, since most people do not like champagne), no little 'gifts' or 'trinkets' for guests (people dont' care about that stuff anyway!). Congratulations!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:38 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I had my dd's wedding in the backyard. There was an arbor trellis so the setting worked. We got chairs and tables from the groom's grandmother's job then returned them later. We did like you and guests brought food. She found her dress at a bridal shop for almost a steal. I bought the paper runner in a catalog. Invitations are easy now that you can print them on your computer

bride

Answer by admckenzie at 5:39 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I think that asking people to bring food to your reception is really tacky. I'm really sorry, but I had to say it. The reception is where you treat your guests for not only coming to your wedding, but being a special part of your life.
    I hope you reconsider doing this. The only people you should be askin to help you out with food, is your immediate family that will be helping you with the wedding.
    there are tons of cheap reception food ideas. I know someone that just bought cheesecakse and decorated them with fruit and flowers for a cake. Then bought sheet cake to cut up and hand out.
    she also just had appetizers like different breads and dips for the breads, as well as fruit, veggies and a couple different punches.
    good luck!
    Anonymous

• Well, I bought good quality fake flowers and made the bouquets and boutaniers. I didn't go hog wild on my dress, I made the centerpieces and the hall we rented had the food....no offence but asking guests to bring a dish is tacky, they already bring a gift, it's a party for them to enjoy not to work at bringing food...on this point either make it yourself or splurge for a caterer. You can get decorations, favors and such inexpensively right at www.oriental.com and you can also print out your own invitations.

Between the hall, food, wedding ceremony, dress, cake and everything else (we made CD's and rented a stereo and had the best man be the "DJ" and my Uncle was a photographer and he did the photos) our wedding only cost about $3,000!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Go to places such as good will , you'll be amazed the cheap glass ware and such you can get for cheap!
    Anonymous

• I'm not changing the part where our church family brings food to the wedding, everyone at our church liked the idea. Sorry.
    I appreciate your ideas though, that's just not a part of the wedding that we think we're going to change.
    So if theres any more wonderful advice givers out there, Dooon't talk about the food! Got that part down.
    I'm just having trouble coming up with decent ideas for it.
    Ashleigh_17

Answer by Ashleigh_17 at 6:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• we had family friends play music for us. They had a music group, one even played a giant harp!!

we found the flowers cheap (only did my bouquet, and for the groom. no decorations)

We changed our date from a Sunday to a friday

We had bryan's grandfather be the "minister", instead of paying someone (we did the court thing to get it legalized)

Foudn a student photographer who needed to build up his portfolio
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 6:02 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• on, and we found bridesmaids dresses for $20.00 in a clearance section. They were black, and had a colored ribbon. We matched the color of each girls wedding to a tie for the groomsmen.

And having family style food is GREAT. That person doesn't know money saving when it's in front of her face.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 6:05 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Have a punch toast instead of a champagne toast. It's easy to make, fits in with your family style food, and you can make a bunch of it for pretty cheap. You could even make a few different flavors (especially if it's going to match your decorations). That way it still appears "classy" but not expensive- plus I'm the only person I know that actually likes champagne anyway. You can always buy one bottle for that classic bridge/groom photo.
    If you're not crazy about details you can get your brides maids to get their own dresses, either tell them a color you'd like them to have or a certain "style".
    I agree with an Ipod playlist. If you don't have your own deck/speakers to plug it into, I'll bet you someone you know does.
    ohsowonderful

Answer by ohsowonderful at 6:44 PM on Mar. 24, 2010