Did you know "universal health care" already existed in the U.S.?

San Francisco is the only city in the U.S. that has what they consider to be 'universal health care'.

Did you know that?

They have a public option. They also still have private insurance; in fact they've worked to build a partnership between the public and private sectors; their success at building a competitive framework proven (IMO) by the recent joining on Kaiser; one of the country's largest HMOs.

They have 36 choices available to them for coverage; half public & half private.

This was accomplished without raising the taxes nor raising bureaucracy...and they've managed to drive down their ER costs at the same time...

Did you know?
Does it change your opinion any?
Is your mind open enough to even consider it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Hawaii has it too..

The tinfoil hat does not want to concern themselves with facts. They are too busy trying to push their BS around. Even thought they are really just talking to themselves.
    Anonymous

• HA ha anon :38 I couldn't resist....
    tin foil hat cat Pictures, Images and Photos
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Yes they do and yes I know about it. But just ignore this.

In the hip South of Market neighborhood, the menu at Tres Agaves, a popular Mexican restaurant and tequila bar, has a small message at the bottom of the first page that says, "3.5% service charge will be added to all checks for the San Francisco affordable healthcare legislation." At issue is the city's new effort, kicked off Jan. 9, to provide healthcare for all residents. Since then, employers with more than 20 workers are required to spend a minimum amount on health insurance, set aside money in health reimbursement accounts or pay a fee to the city's Healthy San Francisco program.
    A big city jumping into universal healthcare is unprecedented.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 5:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• The program is being watched closely as officials from Sacramento to Washington struggle to invent ways to provide and pay for care for the uninsured. But restaurateurs are irate, saying they eke out livelihoods on profit margins as slim as two pennies on the dollar. The program is burdensome for the city's 4,200 eateries, and their trade group has filed suit to stop it.
    http://articles.latimes.com/2008/mar/17/business/fi-menu17
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 5:48 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• owners of smaller places, with fewer than 20 employees and exempt from the healthcare requirement, say that it's become too costly to expand in the city, even when business is booming.

"We will always have 18 [employees] now," vowed Anna Weinberg
    __________
    So yeah expect more lay offs! Yay since the cut off now is 50 employees expect businesses to say they will always have 40 employees. Meaning LESS jobs! But just ignore this.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 5:51 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I hear kaiser horror stories from my brother all the time. San Fran has Healthy California and its for accessibility for the uninsured. Most states have such things.

Hawaii never had a UHC really. They started and ended it in seven months and their coverage for children and its getting the ax.

http://www.businessandmedia.org/articles/2008/20081017135241.aspx
    http://personalinsure.about.com/b/2009/04/09/why-did-hawaii-terminate-their-universal-health-care-insurance-after-just-7-months.htm
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:51 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Massachusetts and Tennessee ALSO have their versions of UHC...and in those states it has PROVEN to be an epic FAIL!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Hawaii has it too..

Awesome, if this new plan is like Hawaii's it will be canceled in less than a year. We can all stop worrying now.
    Anonymous

• Oh and SF plan allows illegals. "Mayor Gavin Newsom and Public Health Chief Mitch Katz said Monday Healthy San Francisco is still necessary because the national plan would exclude thousands of local residents. for example, illegal immigrants can qualify for coverage under Healthy San Francisco."

So that right there will tell you anyone not for Obama's plan will definitely oppose SF.

Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 5:54 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I live in the SF Bay Area, and I'm sure it comes to no surprise to all of you that I'm very pleased to live in such a progressive, caring, non-discriminatory environment. I also find it funny that in spite of our what I'm sure you'd call "social tendencies", this area is still one of the most advanced in technology, most socially accepting and most prosperous in the country. Go figure! By the way, I have Kaiser, and I've never had any issues with them. Neither has anybody I know.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2010