I scared of my breastpump! HELP

So I was gonna try to pump today for the first time cause I'm going back work soon and want to get some milk saved. Problem is that my nipples are cracked still and I'm scard the breastpump is gonna hurt like hell. any suggestions?? I have an Ameda Purely YOurs pump

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• well just do it. it might hurt bit. but you can do the lanolin cream and air dry your nipples
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:42 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• have you tried the lansinoh nipple cream? it's suppose to help with dry and or cracked nipples. Other then that, you could try massaging your breasts and your nipples (lightly) before you do pump so it doesn't hurt as much,
    Anonymous

• The pump may actually HELP you to heal, as it will draw the breast milk "evenly" from your breast, and not from the area that is cracked. When I pumped it was actually more comfortable when direct breastfeeding was too painful. The breast milk will also help heal your "wounds!" And definitely use the lanolin cream afterward.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:46 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Pumping will not hurt your nipples. I found pumping to be much easier on my nipples. Rub your milk on your nipples after pumping.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:48 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Pumping doesn't hurt your nipples like a baby does. It's just air!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:51 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I agree with the rest but also, rub some breast milk into your nipples and let them dry then add the cream. works wonders!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:07 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• OOOH! I felt the same way! I ended up getting the Medela Pump'n'Style and had no problems! You should definitely use the cream, though!
    Anonymous