Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My next door neighbor's have up and disappeared about two weeks, they left two dogs with no food or water. We have been feeding and water them. Can we legally take them out of his yard?

Answer Question

Asked by lilangels69 at 6:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Pets

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • I would personally say yes but call your local animal control to find out

    Answer by staciaw at 6:11 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

  • I don't know about the legalities of it, but I know I've taken a dog in the past who was completely neglected, in addition to being used for dog fighting... Greatest dog I've ever had, too. But I agree, I'd call animal control first.

    Answer by Anouck at 6:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

  • uhh some people are so ignorant... I would take them, they obviously dont care about the poor things, but I dont know if its legal or not.

    Answer by MummaMel at 6:15 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

  • Leave a prominent note on the front door of the house explaining that you have witnessed the dogs starving and that you have been feeding them And that should they return they can pick up the animals at your home.

    What horrible heartless %^$^%&^*&'s. Thank goodness you live next door.

    Answer by Orionsgirl at 6:17 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

  • Call animal control. That is sad :(

    Answer by saysha100687 at 6:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

  • I don't know what they laws are in your area but if I saw this i would be taking picutes of the dogs and keeping record of how long the owners have been gone. You should call the local humane society and talk to them about the dogs. They will probably tell you to take them or they might come and get them or get the police involved.

    Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

  • in my area you have to call animal control. The dogs have to sit in the pound and wait to be claimed by rightful owner, if they dont show you can adopt them!!! But if you call animal control tell them how long this has been going on, and tell them you want the dogs now maybe theyll work with you since its obvious theyve been abandoned!!?? Dunno..atleast you fed them!!! :(

    Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 6:45 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

  • You need to call the police, I think, so they can take steps to enter the house to see if there's foul play because of themselves or done to them. Let the police call animal control and see, if this is what you're offering, if you can keep the animals.

    If you're able to get to them the animals, then they were either left outside all this time or house doors unlocked and you entered? Either way call the police, animals lives are very very important too.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

  • Notify animal control or the police and let them know you will take the dogs until or if the neighbors come back. After a certain amount of time, 30 days in many cities, its considered abandonment and the dogs will legally be yours.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

  • thanks so much for all the answers! It is very sad.. I cant believe people do this to poor animals. But thanks so much for all the advice

    Answer by lilangels69 at 8:15 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.