It doesn't seem right...

Am I wrong for feeling this way?

My husband was retired from the military for medical reasons. He sustained a traumatic brain injury while he was in Iraq. It really messed up his brain and everything connected to it, including his eyes.

After he was discharged, we had to move back with family so I could finish school so we will actually be able to get by after I get a good job. He can't work. This means that we had move out of the area that has TRICARE prime providers and we are under TRICARE standard. This also means that we don't have dental coverage or vision coverage for him. Standard doesn't cover vision.

We're without a working income, and his vision keeps going downhill. I can't afford to get him new glasses out of pocket. This seems totally wrong considering the insurance we get is supposed to be because he was injured, but it doesn't cover everything effected by the injury! I want to cry. It's frustrating.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• Wow, that doesnt seem right at all. You would think that the government would provide all the care that he needs that has come from that injury. I don't understand it. It has to be wrong? Maybe you can call around and get the help that you guys should be entitled to. I wish you the best on this and hope something works out.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Kudos to the military for using and abusing thier soldiers once again. I'm so sorry for all your going through, and hope it works out quickly...xoxoxo
    Anonymous

• Try contacting a local veteran's affairs rep. Since your husband went to Iraq, I would say to contact local military shops and gathering centers that support our veterans, even from foreign wars and such. A lot of times someone knows a loophole that you can get your husband through. I work with a guy from the Korean War...if I tell him that one of my client's is out of the service, no matter the branch, and needs some help, he jumps on the phone to our local companies and starts making sure that the people that can do something do something. I'm sure that there is someone out there in your area that knows about it.
    Anonymous

• Welcome to our world, it sucks. But maybe if yo get connected with the Lions Club? Or your local church? No VA office has ever done anything for hubby.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 8:57 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• IraqiVetWife, we're still waiting on the damn VA to give my husband a determination. And he's been done with all his appointments since August/September. He was discharged from the military in October. It's so frustrating.
    Anonymous

• Its stupid right?e have gotten the run around for 3 years,supposedly they have one more year to make a decision,,its crap. They will spend 1000s of dollars to get him to use his GI Bill and go through Voc Rehab. , big waste if you ask me.his isnt as bad as your hubby,but you'd figure, "hey thanks for your service we will take care of you for laying yourself down" but nope.

Hang in there, we keep hounding em,we keep looking for some loophole that maybe another Vet found or something...I think we were close last time cause they threw out his request and had him put in a new request.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 11:13 AM on Mar. 25, 2010