How can i get my son to fall asleep with out his bottle in his mouth?

My son has to have a bottle in his mouth to go to sleep at any time and will wake up if i take it away. im concerned about his gum and teeth getting off to a bad start. He wont fall asleep with a bottle of water it has to be formula.

K3lly94

Asked by K3lly94 at 6:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know its easier to let him have it, but I can tell you that I had a little boy with a mouth full of cavities from my mistake. And when you have to take him to the dentist to have shots in his gums and holes drilled for fillings...you will WISH TO HIGH HEAVENS you had not given it to him!

Its hard, but parenting is not easy! Take it away or give it to him with water...it will take him time to adjust...but eventually he will! Good luck!
    Anonymous

• cry it out
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 6:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Switch it out for a pacifier.
    Anonymous

• and he also wont take a pacifire he has taken on from the time he was about 4 months
    K3lly94

Answer by K3lly94 at 6:44 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My son's been developing this problem with my boob! I tried everything, but in the end it just got so we had to let him cry it out. He cried for 40 minutes and we've all been happier since.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 6:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Switch it out with a bottle of water until you can wean him off entirely.
    ddbz

Answer by ddbz at 7:04 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My son did the same thing but we have not had any dental problems. Your baby is only 6 months old, I wouldn't worry just yet.
    Anonymous

• I'd say just gerenally it's not a good habit to form. But that's like my one pet peave. I hate seeing babies fall asleep with bottles in their mouths. So I'm not looking down on you, I just don't like it. But I have tons of faults so I'm not calling out. Aside from cavities, just think of the amount of laundry you will be doing once you switch from bottle to sippy.... Yucky mess! I wish you luck in whatever you decide!
    Sonylena

Answer by Sonylena at 9:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Bottlefeeding causes teeth to get off to a bad start even if the baby doesn't fall asleep with the bottle. That is one of the disadvantages of bottle feeding - teeth problems, abnormal jaw formation, and speech problems. All babies probably get it to some degree.

You just have to take the bottle away to prevent bottle mouth syndrome. It can happen very fast and it is horrible for the baby.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:52 PM on Mar. 24, 2010