Will it be impossible now for my children to get student loans with this healthcare thing?

I honestly don't know much about the healthcare reform thing, but I heard that student loans are somehow included in it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• the two dont have anything to do with each other.
    Anonymous

• Apples and oranges...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:42 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Right. They are unrelated. However, the current economic condition IS affecting the availability of funding; but mostly in grants, not necessarily the availabilty of loans. Loans will be harder to obtain - standards have risen. (But standards for ALL types of credit has risen too)
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 6:43 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• If their not related then why does it say all over the news "New Student Loan Rules Tucked Into Health Care Reform Bill"? Are all these news reporters, news stations, and newspapers wrong?
    Anonymous

• Yes, you heard right. Obama is taking over the education loan business. I read an article on this. My 2 kids have not been able to get loans such as that anyway and still will not. But the basics are that they want to raise the amount of a student Pell grant but the total amount will be cut so that means less of them. Some of the money they will save from taking out the banks will go to [paying for the healtcare debacle and not to kids at all. Let me look for the article and I will post that.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:48 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

But they were rolled into the bill last month. The "logic" behind it is that the faster medical students get debt relief the more willing they will be to treat patients for half price and take medicaid payments. Doctors and clinics all over the country are refusing medicare and medicaid patients, and they recently cut the amount they pay the doctors again not too long ago. If they can get out of their student loans faster, they won't be living in poverty for quite as long after they graduate.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:54 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• There are 2 pages so be sure andclick on pg 2 also..

http://www.smartmoney.com/personal-finance/college-planning/the-health-care-bill-and-your-student-loans/?hpadref=1
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• So, is it just for medical students or all college students?
    Anonymous

• Last night, Greta interviewed someone who explained the "reasoning" for it. I will try to do this. We are borrowing a boatload of $$ at say 2.4% interest. If the feds take over all the student loans, and put a rate of say 6.2% interest on them, they get all that extra interest to do whatever they feel like doing with it!!! It has been a plan for years, and it is just about MONEY!!

Makes ME feel all warm & fuzzy about uncle barry now!

NOT!!

I think it is so unethical to take over something like that, just so that YOU can make money off of it, and I can't. It just STINKS, any way you look at it.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 7:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

All college students - the medical students were the excuse they used to justify it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2010