Delaying solids past 6 months?!

Anyone do this?! My daughter EBF an is almost 7 months and i haven't introduced solids yet. She is in the 90 percentile for weight and doing extremely well. She had reflux and digestion problems and also is a big time spit up baby so i decided to postpone solids. Anyone else wait?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:57 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not past 6 months, but I did wait until then, until she was ready. I see no harm in waiting longer, though, if she's not showing interest in it. I mean, before a year old, those foods aren't for nutritional value anyway, just for experimenting and learning to eat and taste different things. It's not really necessary nutritionally.
    Anonymous

• We didn't do it until 8-9 months and he was formula fed. He did still go to table food around 10-12 months with the formula. Switched to milk at 12 months.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:18 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• i wait until my babies act like they want to eat at the table like the rest of us. my first, this was 6 mos, my twins this was 9 mos.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:17 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I introduced solids to DS about 8 mos. He didn't eat on a daily basis until 11 mos.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:30 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• We use baby led solid feeding. She starting wanting to try things around 10 months but didnt really get into it until 13 months. Then she just dove right in!
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 8:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I waited until almost 7 months and we've been giving them for about two or three weeks now and she still isn't all that interested. She hasn't really shown a lot of the signs that she's ready as far as being really interested while we're eating, though, so we're pretty lax about it for now. She is also BF and I never gave rice cereal.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:01 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• The thinking used to be that it was good to delay solids. Not so much now. A huge study was done looking at all the studies done about infant nutrition. The study found that 6 months was the best time to start solids, that you don't have to wait a week between different foods, and that almost all (healthy) foods can be started. Evidence exists that if babies aren't exposed to certain foods or food groups they may not like them. Starting a wide variety of foods between 6-12 months may help your child like lots of different foods. Of course "baby food" is never needed.

You may need to watch your baby's weight at the 90th percentile. That may be considered overweight. I know it is controversial but breastfed babies can be overweight. The AAP is very concerned about weight problems starting in babies and toddlers.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:45 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My oldest was about 4 months when she has food, but she was formula fed. My middle daughter was about 9 months before she had food, she was breastfed and didn't seem to care for anything but me. My youngest is 8 months and has just now started to eat some cherrios, but not much else, she is also breast fed. I think it all depends on the baby, if your baby seems ready then go for it, otherwise wait. Babies don't even really need anything but breast milk for the first year of their life. Solids in the first year are for practice only.
    mommyof2grls06

Answer by mommyof2grls06 at 9:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• It is normal for breastfed babies to gain weight more rapidly than their formula-fed peers during the first 2-3 months and then taper off (particularly between 9 and 12 months). There is absolutely NO evidence that a large breastfed baby will become a large child or adult. In fact, there is good research to indicate that breastfed babies are less likely to be obese children or adults than babies who were formula-fed.

Most ebf moms I know introduce solids around eight to ten months with soft "real" foods that a baby can grasp.

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 10:50 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Occasionally, parents will be told that baby must start solids by 6 months (or 8 months, or 10 months) or baby will have problems learning to accept and eat foods that require chewing. This "limited window of opportunity" idea is widely believed, but unproven.
    I've not been able to find any research data to support the idea that there is a limited window of opportunity for introducing solids in normally developing, healthy children. There does appear to be some limited evidence that babies who have been tube-fed long-term or have serious developmental delays may have problems learning to eat if they don't get a chance to practice eating solids between 6 & 10 months.
    happytexasCM