15 month old still doesnt sleep through the night...Please Help

our son is 15 going on 16 months and still wakes up at least 1 time a night for a bottle and he does sleep in our room right now because we are redoing the floor in his room... i have tried to let him cry it out because thats what i have been told to do by other moms but he would cry for hours unless i give him the bottle... do you have any suggestions...

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 7:01 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a co-worker who raised 2 kids and with both of them, she made them cry it out. She said sometimes it would last for an hour and she would have to go in and get them anyway...so now that her grandbaby is living with her - she just gets up, gives her the bottle (sippy cup), and then the baby goes back to sleep. She said trying to make her cry it out is just not worth it.

My DS had been sleeping through the night beginning at 9 months old. All of a sudden, recently, (22 months old now) he started waking up once a night wanting juice. So we let him go for about 5 minutes and if he doesn't settle down - we go get him, grab a juice (Capri Sun - we keep them in our room), and let him sleep with us for the remainder of the night. It works well for us.... I fear we may regret it some day, but for now - It seems great.

OMG! I just realized that perhaps he is waking bc we stopped using a humidifier & that is why he needs it
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 7:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• cont.... wow - I think just about the time I stopped using the humidifier - he started waking up every night thirsty! Wow!!

I guess I would suggest you try using one every night to keep in moist in the room and then the baby won't be so thirsty....

I am going to have to do this myself! (I know, I'm a dork haha)
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 7:11 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I would tell him that he is a big boy and throw out the bottle. My mom said that I woke up every night for a bottle until I was 18 months. At that point my parents went out of town and I stayed with a couple that were like grandparents to me. She threw my bottle down the laundry shoot. My mom said that I watched her do it and I never woke up for it again because I believed it was gone.

I have a 27 month old who wakes up for no reason. Sometimes I can lay down with him in his bed and get him to sleep, other times we bring him to our bed. I can't let him cio because he shares a room with his siblings and would wake them. So we do what works for us at the moment.
    Anonymous

• At 15 months I would just ditch the bottle in favor of a sippy cup. If he wakes up in the night, offer him a sippy cup of water but nothing else.

Answer by missanc at 7:48 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I don't have any advice on how to stop it but I will say that kids can be as different as night and day. Who's to say that even though most kids don't need or want something at night that they will all be that way? How many of us would not drink if we were thirsty? My oldest woke at least once per night until he was 3. I do like the humidifier idea and the water in a sippy. If he's truly just thirsty then the water might work.
    Anonymous

• When I night weaned my son, I would hold him and let him cry, and he would eventually go back to sleep. I started out giving him the night feeding later and later in the night until it went away. Yes, there will be tears, but there's a big difference between putting your screaming child in a crib and closing the door and holding your crying child for comfort and soothing him with your love. We also put a water bottle in his crib, because he does get genuinely thirsty, and now, he does fine with that. You might even try substituting water for his milk. It might take a few tries for him to accept the change, and again, making that milk bottle later and later will eventually make it go away, but some water in the night won't hurt anyone. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:07 PM on Mar. 25, 2010