2 1/2 year old humping

my son will be 3 in august and lately he has been humping his sippy cup a lot and it's really kinda disturbing, i try to tell him he can only do it in his room, but he doesn't listen and just gets angry, i can't really reason with him, any advice, is this normal, i mean i think it is, but it seems like he does it too much

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That's just a part of growing sigh. What I did was not encourage it by saying do it only in your room. Instead I said we don't do that, it's not nice. NOT it's not nice to look at so do it privately. I left it open for my kid to do it privately but I didn't say to do it privately, cuz I didn't like it at all myself either personally!!!!

If I went into their room and my child was busying themself there I said the same thing "We don't do that it's not nice" said with out anger and not laughing about it, but said firmly and I quickly gave chores to do of cleanup or drawing for grandma or for our wall of honor etc. Try that.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 7:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My 8 yr old sister still lays on her belly on the couch and humps a pillow or her hands. We are on her all the time to quit, and she just won't. IDK if it'll ever go away without serious reprimanding... it hasn't worked so far for my mom and dad.

GL!!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 7:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• YES IT'S NORMAL. STOP ASKING THESE STUPID QUESTIONS. What do you think? YES THEY ARE GOING TO DISCOVER THEMSELVES. I think it's perverted that parents keep asking these questions over and over..... Come on....
    Anonymous

• You'd think humping the sippy would hurt! Just leave him alone. Its his newly discovered toy! One he will never stop playing with!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:20 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Experts and doctors have all said this behavior is normal. But I find it disturbing too. I did alot of "humping" when I was a kid, but it was because I was getting molested and had extremely powerful sexual needs beginning at 5 years old, at the onset of the abuse. I don't think your question is stupid at all, and I also don't think your concerns are unwarranted....

Talk to your pediatrician about it. I think you are doing exactly what you are supposed to.... The pediatrician on the television show "The Doctors" said exactly what you are doing is the correct way to handle it....Don't shame them - just let them know we do that in private....
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 7:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• very disturbing to me....
    Anonymous

• ROFL...wow...sippy cup humping.....
    Anonymous

• I worked in a daycare for 5 years...I saw a lot of this with the 3 year old (maybe not a sippy cup, but on the cots when the slept on their tummies and things like that). I just would not say anything about it and get them distracted with something else like a book or a toy. I do not think it is wrong and I think children need self exploration but I also think there is a time and place for it. Good Luck!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Yes it is normal. Anyone who says it isn't doesn't pay attention to their kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Oh, and DON'T tell him not to do it. It will just make him ashamed of himself. Tell him he can do it in his own room.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Mar. 25, 2010