Are baby slings just generally dangerous? I was thinking thats what I wanted bc I have heard that those other carriers that strap on can be stressful to baby's hips/joints. Any feedback????

jleighmiller

Asked by jleighmiller at 7:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No they are not all dangerous.. it's only the pouch-style slings that are dangerous. I hate that this has been confused by the media. You should look into a "wrap or sling" course.. Or look up videos on youtube on how to wear your baby in a sling/wrap. I prefer wraps to slings. I have a bad back and the slings put too much pressure on one side. I use a really big mei-tei that I wrap around both my shoulders to evenly distribute my son's weight now that he's heavy.

Just because one type of sling was bad doesn't mean they all are... I mean they recalled tons of cribs, pack-n-plays, and high chairs too! That doesn't mean all cribs, pack-n-plays, and high chairs are dangerous when assembled and used properly.

You are right classic baby carriers that hold babies at the groin do put too much pressure on their hips and groin region.
    Anonymous

• I know some moms will argue with me on this, but in my opinion once the baby leaves the womb, he needs to be more flat than curved in order to develop his bones and muscles. It's ok to wear the sling for emergencies, but the whole baby wearing non-stop is too extreme, and yes, i dare to say dangerous to the baby's health. If you can prove me wrong with scientifical evidence, please do so. But not the "baby likes to be next to mom" argument etc. of course he does. I am talking about scientific arguments related to the bone and muscle development. Show me one research that says that baby being curled up in the sling is beneficial for his bones and muscles.
    Anonymous

• Anon :26, can you show me one piece of information that says it's bad? Not debating you, just wondering if you've heard/seen things that I'm not aware of.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• What about baby being curled up in a bouncy seat, or car seat, or swing?

After 6-8 weeks baby is typically carried in a tummy to tummy position anyway and then they are straight up with their legs curled up, much like if they were swaddled. Heck, even before that, baby should be laying flat, they shouldn't be curled with their chin touching their chest. So... I say your theory is based upon a lack of knowledge about sling use.

For OP, it's just bag slings (NOT pouch slings like PP stated). They look like purses made to carry babies... They're no good, we've all known that for a long time!

Ring slings, pouch slings, wraps, mei tais... they're all perfectly safe when used correctly. Just like every other baby item out there. You do have to actually learn about them and what you should or shouldn't do.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• There are actually lots if health BENEFITS for having baby in a sling a lot. info on that and how to use slings safely at BABYWEARING

It is only the poorly designed "bag" slings that are causing problems.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Some bag slings are causing problems with young babies. They are fine with older babies and toddlers.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:34 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Get an ergo carrier. They are kind of expensive, but more than worth it. I wore my 40 pounds 3 year old on my back for about an hour and a half today and my back didn't hurt. It was a bit sweaty, but that's it. If you have a newborn or smaller baby be sure invest in the infant insert though.
    mommyof2grls06

Answer by mommyof2grls06 at 9:39 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Remember there is a big difference between a wrap, a sling, and a carrier. A sling has the baby in a more "curved" position which can be dangerous. With a wrap, a newborn that can not sit up yet, is facing you, like he would if he was curled on your chest. As they get older you turn them around. With a carrier, again younger, "laying on your chest", older facing out or on your back.

I have a Moby Wrap and I love it.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 1:26 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Traditional baby carriers have been tested by mothers all over the world for hundreds of years and are safe. Each style of baby carrier has a different purpose and different mode of wearing for ages groups. It is the modern "bag slings" that are dangerous because of how they fold babies up or dangle them from their crotches. Even a sling that holds a baby in a gentle curve isn't dangerous becuase you are supposed to put them in a certain way so they are not chin to chest (bad) or have their face covered. Go here to see old fashined slings in action: http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1582037/Babywearing_Traditional_Styles

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:52 AM on Mar. 25, 2010