My son who is almost 7 month old woke up for the past two nights screaming at night. before this he would sleep from 9:30 pm to about 6 am. Lately he hasn't and i tried to let him CIO but it didnt work. My last resort was the bottle which I dont want him to get in the habit of eating at night still. My ped said to let him CIO but i cant. Help! i do everything to help him sleep better such as give him a bath, give him cereal and a bottle...any ideas as to why he is suddenly waking up a

Baby Sleeping Problems...HELP!!

Asked by mami303 at 7:51 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds similar to what we went through and here's what my ped told us: Go in at 5 min. intervals and calm the baby by telling them that it's ok and it's time for ni-night, but DON'T pick them up. Just be calm and soothing, but don't linger. Then, go in at 10 min.'s, 15 min.'s, etc.

This worked so great for us. They warned us it might take up to 2 weeks, but it only took 3 nights for us.

• Use a nightlight! If you give cereal in the bottle at bedtime he will always be hungry at bedtime. Our ped recommended offering just a few sips of water in a bottle when our LO began this. I just went in once to make sure he was ok reassured him, checked the diaper and let him CIO. The first coulpe of times though I picked him up and when he calmed right down I knew he was just scared . Within 45-55 minutes he was fast asleep. This happened again on 2-3 occasions and I let him CIO. He sleeps from 8pm-7am without interruption.

Answer by babygino at 8:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Have you tried a sippy cup of water instead of a bottle. My children sleep with their sippy's and usually don't drink much out of them its just there to soothe them if needed.

Answer by awife1life3kids at 8:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I also used the 5,10, 15 minute intervals for the beginning of the night. Mine slept straight through the second night on. He did cry 20 minutes the first night, but not much since. Also, babies sleep better when they go to bed earlier (or so they say!). An earlier bedtime worked wonders for my ds who is also 7 months. He goes to bed at 7. He doesn't nap well, so if yours if a good napper a little later would probably work. I have read that babies who go to bed later than 8 are usually overtired and that leads to night wakenings. I have learned not to believe everything that I read, but this has been true for us. Maybe you could give that a try.

Answer by IlovemylilChase at 8:59 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• we did the same thing as anonymous said at about 7 months. They go thru spurts where things are changing for them and they are growing all the time. Be patient this too shall pass. Try to interval thing - its called the Ferber Method - worked in 2 days for us. The first nite I think she cried 45 minutes total. Oh and make sure it is the same parent each time don't switch it up because that will get them started again wondering who is going to show up next.
    Good luck -

Answer by blueyedgrlz at 9:00 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Maybe he's teething? My 6 month old usually sleeps through the night, but when she's cutting a tooth, she will wake up crying. I usually will verbally let her know I am there, and she goes back to sleep. But then again, we re sharing a room right now so the crib is right there near my bed.

Answer by TinaBeena1216 at 11:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• What about ear infections? Also, did your son have a shot recently at the doctors? Eileen

Answer by EileenMarie at 12:33 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Definitely teething.. a total nightmare 4 any baby. Warm bath (Johnson's lavender bath),1jar of baby food (fruits), full bottle of formula or milk 30min.-1hr. b4 bath,story time(while on a rocking chair,dim colored night light (placed away from the crib), and the strength 2 let your baby cio. I know it's hard, I did it w. both kids. My 2yr. old goes 2 sleep @ 7:30- wakes @9 and my 10mth. old sleeps @6:30 -wakes @8:30..Good luck and just b calm w. ur baby, then can sense everything...

Answer by LOVEMYBOYS291 at 12:50 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• also check to see how hes sleeping he may be twisting his neck

Answer by Patience1 at 4:38 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I also let my son CIO and it worked wonders. It only took two nights. Now he sleeps from 8pm to about 6:30am. Also, he may be teething and some baby Tylnal (sp) before bed may help too. Hang in there! I know its tough but it does get better :)

Answer by babyblake0810 at 12:02 AM on Jun. 28, 2008