can you repent of your sins with yourself? (not with a God) but just ask yourself to be better and do better and forgive yourself so that you can go on and live a better life.

wouldnt this be the same as asking God and believing that God can forgive you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Of course. And I think you should. You should be in charge of your own life and be aware of whether or not you are living well and honestly and being good to others. Your conscience should tell you.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:09 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• It's not the same as asking God for forgiveness because you're not asking for His forgiveness, you're granting it to yourself.

Not saying that it wouldn't be a good thing to make changes for the better, just saying that it's not the same as asking God for His forgiveness.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 7:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Not to me because I believe in God's existence but not that God alone makes better or worse. When I pray I pray for rest and strength to deal with what comes to me and past me. That includes my soul recognizing my wrongs and carrying on in spite of that.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 7:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• how do you know if God has forgiven you?
    Anonymous

• If you ask for forgiveness and you are genuine then He will forgive you.
    This is how I understand Him anyways.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 7:28 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Wow you sure are powerful to be able to forgive all your sins. No one on Earth is that powerful!

You know that God has forgiven you b/c you ask and when you ask God promised that your sins would be cast in the deepest ocean forgotten forever.

Gods promises are true!
    Anonymous

• that is the easy way out, huh? Making yourself believe that you are forgiven simply just for asking.
    Anonymous

• I don't believe in the concept of "sin"...I believe that we are only human and that includes making mistakes in our lives. We learn from these mistakes, which is why it's essential that we make them. To not fogive myself for being human, would be detrimental to my growth as a person.
    I don't need forgiveness from anyone else to learn and move on with my life.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:30 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• It's not an easy way out. What is so easy about realizing and admitting to doing wrong? That's a difficult thing. Owning up to your mistakes and taking responsibility for them is not an easy task.
    Asking for forgiveness is humbling, regardless of who you are asking forgiveness from.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 7:31 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Forgiving one's self is known by an internal feeling of being more peaceful, more at rest meaning a problem that was heavy is now or then next either lighter in weight or the problem is gone.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 7:32 PM on Mar. 24, 2010