Do you agree?

Do you agree with any of these Amendments? Which ones do you dislike?
"To reduce the cost of providing federally funded prescription drugs by eliminating fraudulent payments and prohibiting coverage of Viagra for child molesters and rapists and for drugs intended to induce abortion." (Amendment #3556)
"Prohibiting use of funds to fund the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN)." (Amendment #3554)
"To revoke the powers given the Secretary of Health and Human Services under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act." (Amendment #3558)
"To require that each new bureaucrat added to any department or agency of the Federal Government for the purpose of implementing the provisions of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act be offset by a reduction of one existing bureaucrat at such department or agency."

Sorry the choices will extend into the replies! so Con't

Crissy1213

Asked by Crissy1213 at 7:28 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Con't
    "To protect the democratic process and the right of the people of the District of Columbia to define marriage." (Amendment #3568)
    "To help the President keep his promise that Americans who like the health care coverage they have now can keep it." (Amendment #3559)
    "To repeal the new $375 million program directing the very same Federal Government that has amassed a $12 trillion debt to lecture Americans about financial responsibility." (Amendment #3563)
    "To require all Members of Congress to read a bill prior to casting on a vote on the bill." (Amendment #3566)
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 7:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I love them all!
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:30 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• .......Well I for SURE agree with #3556.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 7:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Yes..Yes, I do..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:38 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• 3556- I'm all for reducing costs and cracking down on fraudulent payments. I'm not sure it's constitutional to prohibit who can and cannot receive prescription drugs though.
    3554- we shouldn't be funding any outside organization
    3558- Not sure what powers he has now so I can't comment
    3568- No, marriage is a constitutional right the only "definition" we need is if they are consenting adults. (Yes I know this crosses issues of polygamy which frankly I dont' care if YOU want to marry more than one person but ALL persons need to consent and I would hate to have your divorce attorney)
    3563- HeadDesk
    I'm all for the last one.
    No issues with 3559
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• regarding 3556 and constitutionality:

It's probably (I say probably because I don't know the law) illegal to say who can get what drugs but the Government sure doesn't have to pay for it.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• 3558: If they revoke the powers of the HHS Secretary, then who is to over see the program? What "powers" are meant to be taken away? (honest question).
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• 3554: All I was able to find about community organizations was under this subtitle -

SEC. 4202. HEALTHY AGING, LIVING WELL; EVALUATION OF COMMUNITY-BASED PREVENTION AND WELLNESS PROGRAMS FOR MEDICARE BENEFICIARIES.

It pertained to community based prevention and screening specifically. I didn't see any sort of grassroots politcal agenda in the language. Is there another section that this refers to? Because I think community based screening for seniors is a good thing. I know that my Church currently does regular blood pressure screenings and flu shots - and it's well appreciated by the seniors in our Parish (especially to my own grandfather before he passed away).
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

_______
    The HHS is the "Secretary" the HCR bill mentions a bazillion times. "The legislation lists 1,697 times where the secretary of health and humans services is given the authority to create, determine or define things in the bill" Example Page 122 the secretary is given the power to establish "the basic per enrollee, per month cost, determined on average actuarial basis, for including coverage under a qualified health care plan."

Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 10:31 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

_______
    They are not striking that. They just want an amendment in the bill that states ACORN can't receive funds. Because since the bill doesn't mention it can't or can that is legally a loophole that they want to close.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 10:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2010