Which job should I take/keep?

I have two options for jobs right now and I am really undecided and would love some feedback.
Job #1- This is the current job I have right now. It pays $7.25 hr. I work from 7:30-3:30 but sometimes I am required to stay until 4:30. For the most part I enjoy my job, but there are a few things that kind of irk me about it. For example, today I had to work until 4:30 but I did not get a break at all. There are a few times that I have to ignore the state regulations such as ratios ( it is childcare) and just deal with it. My boss is good about letting me take off for my son's doctor's appointments ( He has one every 2 weeks) and for anything else that relates to my son.

Continued...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• Job #2- I have the opportunity to go through a 7 week night course to become a CNA. There are several CNA jobs in my area right now. The pay is generally $9-$10 an hour and most places will pay for tuition to become an LPN or RN. If I become a CNA the my hours will most likely be Fri-Sun 7 am-7 pm or 7 pm-7am. This will allow be to be able to volunteer more at my son's school and go on field trips, make Doctor's appointments without having to schedule time off from work, etc. However, my concern with this job is that I have always been off on weekends. My husband works from Mon-Sun 7 pm-7am every other week. This would mean that he could watch him on his off weeks but not his work weeks. This would also give my husband and I more time together.

I am not sure which job I should do. Any advice/suggestions? (Please no work at home ads, thanks)

Anonymous

• Around here CNAs are a dime a dozen, in fact it's about the only thing the workforce offers paid training for. So a bunch of them get pushed out there and a bunch of them are needed because the job has a high turnover rate. There's a reason for that high turnover rate too - so you gotta think of that. Now with the childcare experience you can get into teachers aid for many schools and that pay is better, the hours are better and it is way more promising than CNA. Just my opinion from being a case worker for the state and seeing HIGH numbers of girls do the CNA thing only to hate it.
    ItsNotSoBad

Answer by ItsNotSoBad at 8:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• If you can handle the CNA worl that sounds like a good deal.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 11:05 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Job #1 is violating wage and hour laws; contact yor state department of labor

Answer by rkoloms at 8:44 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• rkoloms, Can you clarify what you meant about it violating wage and hour laws?
    Anonymous