Do the Amish have the right ideas?

The Amish are all about God, family, and living the plain simple life. A community that seems to help each other. They have a strong work ethic and it seems that they don't have the many problems we are facing today. Looking in from the outside you can't help but notice that their community is one in which violence and hate does not happen. It really makes you stop and think what a difference the world would be if God and family were made top priority.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:44 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yeah, but if you have even one idea that is different from the community, you can be shunned. Like, say, wanting to be educated past the 8th grade (some people actually DO like to learn). It's not allowed. And you either give up what would make you most happy or give up your family.
    Anonymous

• I do admire them. I try very hard to live my life as simply as possible. I live my life off of the land as much as possible, and work with my hands to provide for my family.
    In my house, family ALWAYS comes first...above any and all else.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:49 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I've been saying this all along. If the stock market crashed or anything else effecting the economy, they're also self sustaining! But I wouldn't limit it to amish....it's how we used to live back in the day, and people have forgotten that! Barn raising etc...
    Anonymous

• Looking in from the outside you can't help but notice that their community is one in which violence and hate does not happen.

That has a lot to do with the ones who don't stay. When Amish kids go on Rumspringa it's like Cancun Spring Break, only it lasts for a year or more. Not every kid comes back from it - some leave, some don't survive it - they end up dead in drunk driving accidents and OD's. Any belief system could have a perfect society as long as anyone who disagreed with the rules was forced out.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:54 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I believe that a more simple life meets basic human needs much more than the complexities and distractions that our modern one does. I believe that alot of the ills of society and humanity in general come from the existence we currently have. I admire their way of life because they are peaceful, hard-working, self-sufficient and have a wonderful sense of community and spirituality.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 8:02 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• It would SEEM so, I can agree. I do not have any other statement to add after that. Yahweh bless.
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 8:23 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Any belief system could have a perfect society as long as anyone who disagreed with the rules was forced out.

I agree.
    Anonymous

• Yes. I think alot of the Amish have a great idea & I think we could all learn A LOT from them!
    But if you have ever seen some of the bad documentaries that are out there you would feel kinda bad for them.If I remember correctly- Sin is viewed very differently. If you do something bad (rape your sister) you go & are forgiven by God, then everyone in your community including your sister must forgive you & treat you as if it NEVER happened. and that is it... What you do wrong in life is between you & God & no one should judge you for it.. Research a bit into rape & incest & the Amish Community.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:54 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Kind of reminds me of the movie "The Village". You know, they were living without viiolence and hate as well.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:52 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• No. And NO, I can't imagine ever admiring them or their way of life. There is a reason Rumspringa happens! And there is a reason that so few return home afterward!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2010