there has to be an easier way to keep the kids' room organized

im at a loss when it comes to the kids' bedrooms especially with the older boys (8yr and 6yr) i got totes and milk crates so they can have their toys put away but they NEVER put things back. they strat to clean their room then they act like they forgot what they were doing i hate having to stand guard at the door to keep reminding them to clean and not make more of a mess... i even went through and threw away any broken toys and they havent gotten any new toys in a while cause they dont take care of them. i even tried taking all their toys away for a month and they still dont pick them up or take care of them..any ideas

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Go through their stuff and get rid of the stuff they do not use. Wheather they like it or not. Or forget orginizing and just shut their doors.

Answer by louise2 at 7:50 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I bought my kids those 3 drawer carts on wheels. They fit in their closets, they can just toss stuff in the drawers, they don't have to organize it if they don't want to but then it's not all over the floors looking messy either.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:51 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• op here

their teachers said they need the practice cause they are the same way in school...they are asked to do a task but never follow through and move on to something else. and their desk/lockers are always such a mess they cant find anything, like notes or homework they are to take home or return to the teachers
    Anonymous

• OK, try this. It works with my kids. Every time they want something, anything at all, answer "Not until you clean up your room."

Example
    Kid: Can I play computer?
    Mom: Not until you clean up your room.
    Kid: Can I have a snack?
    Mom: Not until you clean up your room.
    Kid: Can I watch TV?
    Mom: Not until you clean up your room.

etc...whatever the question. The answer is "Not until you clean up your room."  Works every time, and faster each time at that. There's growling, sure, but they'll get over it. 

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Exactly what Pnukey said. If their room isn't clean, they don't get to do anything else. My kids are 8 and 10 - once a week they are required to clean their room, vacuum and dust all surfaces. I inspect it after they are done. If it's not done by Thursday, they don't do anything else until it is - so no weekend play dates, birthday parties, friends over, etc.

Answer by missanc at 7:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Pnukey..

i tried that too and works for like 2 minutes then again its like they forget they are to be cleaning. we taken away computer time tv time all of their toys...im starting to think they may have adhd or add. even when im standing there i have to remind them every couple minutes that they are to be cleaning..even with my oldest ones homework if im not standing over him reminding him he will start drawing.
    we even tried reward charts where for so many stars they can rent a movie they want to watch or go out to eat ect...but even with that they cant stay focused
    Anonymous

Example
    Kid: Can I play computer?
    Mom: Not until you clean up your room.
    Kid: Can I have a snack?
    Mom: Not until you clean up your room.
    Kid: Can I watch TV?
    Mom: Not until you clean up your room.

etc...whatever the question. The answer is "Not until you clean up your room." Works every time, and faster each time at that. There's growling, sure, but they'll get over it.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________

I JUST NOTICED AFTER I READ THIS THAT I DO IT TO LOL!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 8:01 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I ALSO GET OUT THE VACUUM CLEANER AND TELL HER CLEAN UP OR IT ALL GOES LOL!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 8:02 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• 1/2 of my boys (9&6) toys are @ this moment in our basement, and have been there...uuh, I wonna say...6-8 mos.
    Recently, they have been doing better and I am considering giving them some of them back.
    I believe they have improved because :
    1) I organized their toys in their room (while they were in school)
    2) Went over with them where everything goes
    3)Told them to clean up what they played with before starting a new game (and reminding them when I see them start something new "did you remember to clean up the other stuff?" + "Can I come check?")
    4) I ask them to pick up their room 1/2 hour before bedtime. Every night the room gets cleaned up, so no mess builds up.
    @ first it was a lot of work to keep up with - checking that they put things in right place, but within a week or so they were really doing good. I still have to remind them about # 3 +4, but now they keep their room w/ only my verbal help - Jubiiii !
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 10:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2010