Is milk giving my son diarrhea?

I recently started given my son milk, he's 11 months old and I give him 1 ounce of milk and 6 ounces of formula in his bottles. He has started having diarrhea, could it be from the milk? P.S. While I respect a person's choice to be a vegan, I fully intend on giving my son milk, so please no responses saying

MomMom23

Asked by MomMom23 at 8:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies under a year are not supposed to be given milk because it can cause digestive problems and organ damage. It can damage that you may not know about for years.

There is no reason to transition over. Once a baby stops formula at 12 months there is no need for drinking milk. For those people that decide to give their child dairy only two toddler servings of dairy products a day are recommended. Toddlers don't need to drink milk. They like foods with milk that are easier to digest like yogurt and some cheeses.

We are mammals and like other mammals we don't need milk once we wean. Formula is just to help babies that aren't breastfed survive the first year. At 12 months food is better than formula and they should drink water just like everyone else.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:32 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• yes stop giving him milk if your doing formula the both will make his tummy do that
    Anonymous

• you can not do both at the same time do one or the other but not both
    Anonymous

• I know it sounds weird but cont giving him milk for a hole week and don't give him anything else new and if he still has diarrhea then i would call the doctor and see if he has any reason behind it. Whole milk may be to much on his belly but after they turn a year old till there 2 the say whole milk is best. I would just give it a week and see what happens. Good luck your going in the right direction.
    Anonymous

• your suppost to do 1/2 milk and 1/2 formula
    Anonymous

• I want to gradually introduce milk, how should I do that?
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 8:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Not drinking cow's milk doesn't mean you're a vegan. My son has a very hard time with cow's milk, so he drinks almond milk and rice milk, eats coconut milk yogurt and ice cream, and other then that, I pretty much keep him away from dairy. If this persists, you might take the milk out of the diet and see if it goes back to normal. Then you will know if it is the milk or not.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:27 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Anyway, besides what I said above, if you want to gradually introduce it, an ounce at a time sounds like a good way to do it. But, if it will cause problems for him, do you still fully intend to give him cow's milk? It might not be the milk, but if it is, it's best to remove it. The best way to figure it out is to take it out, and see what happens, and maybe even reintroduce it, and see what happens. Sorry I didn't get this in my answer before, DD woke up and I had to run for a min.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:38 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• YES it can. It's called lactose intolerance. Look it up.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Most likely it IS the milk. It is still a wee bit early. Back off. Try again in a month. You can mix it with formula if you want...quarter milk, three quarters formula and then increase. Personally, I believe in starting milk as you mean to go on...straight up, no flavors. If he never takes it that's OK. Water is fine for hydration and you can get the rest of what he needs in foods.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:17 PM on Mar. 24, 2010