my son has become quite the drama queen at bedtime!!

he is 22 months, and is a big mommy boy and can not sleep a whole night in his room with his sis. before morning, mostly about 2 am he comes running and jumps into our bed bc he is a lil cuddlebug! but now its getting harder for him to get to sleep without us, so i mostly let him cry it out (usually 15 minutes or less) but now, he will purposely bump his head on the wall and come running to me, for me to console him. if i ignore it, he just hits his head again, until i either hold him, or pop his bottom. usually if i pop his rump he stops banging his head and stays in bed and goes right to sleep, but if i dont he will continue to bump his head until he cries himself to sleep. has anyone else experienced this? i think its a little odd for him to actually try to hurt himself to get me to hold him lol!

secondtyme520

Asked by secondtyme520 at 8:32 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like an attention thing, especially since you said he stops when you "pop him on his bottom" lol. I would start making a rule and sticking to it that he needs to sleep in his own bed, and as long as he's not hitting his head so hard that it's hurting him, I bet he'll get sick of it real fast.
    My daughter's kind of like that, she'll cry and cry at bed time and once we go in there and say, loudly, "It's time for bed!" and than a little pop on the butt, she always goes right to sleep. It's like they need that one last bit of attention or something!
    Anonymous

• lol, i think he is just testing his waters. he wants to kno how much ur gonna let him get away with. stand strong with ur parenting style. its just the age. no, my dd's didnt go that far, but i kno others who have. let him kno ur not gonna give in, and after some time, he will sleep in his own bed. good luck
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 9:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• First of all poping is hitting. Giving it a cute name doesn't change what it is.

It is normal for human children your son's age to be breastfeeding and sleeping with their mothers. It's what mothers and toddlers have done for all time and what most mothers and toddlers in the world do today. It is a survival mechanism hardwired in their brain. When they wake they reach out and are supposed to feel their mother or cry to let her know something is wrong, they are alone and they are in danger. It's hardwired in their brain.

He is not a drama queen or out for attention. He is doing what he is supposed to be doing. You aren't. If you are going to make him sleep in another room it would be nice to do it with love. That means no name calling, cio, popping, ect.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• sorry gaill but i strongly disagree with you!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 10:10 AM on Mar. 27, 2010