how can i get my son to sleep in his own bed?

my son is 17 months old and he has slept in the bed with me for the past year. i have tried to get him to sleep in his bed but he will scream and cry till i let him get in mine. i have even tried waiting till he has fallen asleep then put him in his but he wakes up every time.

boogermansmom

Asked by boogermansmom at 9:03 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Bump. I would like to read the suggestions you get. I hope that's ok!
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 9:04 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• how about try and sleep in his room, u on the floor, him in the bed (if his bed isnt big enough for u). eventually he will be comfortable with his room. unfortunately u have shown him that just continually crying will let him get his way. the way i broke my grls was just to constantly take them back to their bed, soothe them, then leave. it takes time and a lot of patience, but its the most effective.
    hope it helps
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 9:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• It's normal for human children his age to be breastfeeding and sleeping with their mother. It's hardwired in their brain for survival. In most places in the world they still do. It's normal for him to seek out being next to his mother and that's why he keeps doing it. You may or may not be able to "break" this normal behavior. If you let him sleep with you he will eventually want to sleep on his own.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Yupe,, sorry girl, but the quickest way is cold turkey - don't give in to his cry's.
    And my experience is also 3 nights of heartbreaking crying @ most!
    But now you know better with the next one : no kids in your bed :-)
    Good Luck, Mama!
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 9:45 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• P.S. and you have a nasty username...LOL!
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 9:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I got my DD used to it by having her take naps in her own bed. For the first little bit I'd take naps in there with her. Then once she got used to taking naps in her bed on her own, I started putting her to bed there at night. She still occassionally will sleep in bed with me (my hubby works nights so its not a family bed, just me and her) but for the most part shes in her bed till about 6am then she climbs in with me
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 11:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2010