Obama signs executive order banning fed $$ for abortion, thoughts?

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama has signed an executive order designed to ensure that no federal money can be used for elective abortions under the nation's new health care legislation.

Obama agreed to the order on Sunday to ensure passage of the health care overhaul that is central to his agenda. The deal won the votes of anti-abortion lawmaker Rep. Bart Stupak of Michigan and a bloc of other House members who wanted assurances that existing federal policy would not change.

The order affirms a prohibition on federal funding of abortions, except in cases of rape, incest or danger to the woman's life.

Obama invited lawmakers to the Oval Office for the order signing Wednesday but no members of the news media were allowed in the room.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:38 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:38 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Good. I hope $$ don't somehow find a loophole in the system and end up funding it anyhow.
    ItsNotSoBad

Answer by ItsNotSoBad at 9:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• They should be banned altogether. But anyway, GOOD.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 9:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• It means nothing
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:44 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• its a good thing because otherwise people would use abortion as a birth control. smartwifeandmom adoption is still on option & abortion is murder.. google abortion pic ..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 9:45 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• BIRTH CONTROL, people! You won'tget knocked up if you use effective birth control. And it can be free at Planned Parenthood or your County offices. Please, just don't get pregnant.
    I am glad they will not make us pay for someone's abortion. It IS elective surgery just as having a boob job. Really. If you are going to have sex, prevent pregnancy! But,it would be lots better to get married first. :-)
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:46 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I've always known people to pay out of pocket for theirs. Not saying I know many people. Just two of them. They paid the money up front. I always thought abortion was not covered by insurance anyway. I know it's not with mine because I get Tricare and used to work on OB/GYN and when anyone requested a VIP, all we did was hand them a sheet with "reputable" clinics and if they were active duty they had to take leave for it and pay out of pocket.
    Anonymous

• 8:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 by: smartwifeandmom
    maiah- thats your opinion not mine... and im entitled to mine as u are to yours and mine is pro choice plain and simple so preach to someone else cause u will never change my view
    *****************
    I don't know who you are talking to....but abortions as birth control and abortions for most reasons are disgusting and I won't want my taxes to pay for hem. USE birth control. If you won't, and you "get knocked up"...YOU pay for it.
    And use "YOU" instead of "U".
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• No federal funding to pay for abortons except in certain cases- I'm cool with it. (It's not saying NO abortions it's saying find your own money) Somehow though I feel this will be a foothole for some to try to make having any abortion for any reason illegal.
    Oh and people will still use it as birthcontrol, they'll just have to find their own way to pay for it
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:56 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Good, I sure don't want my tax dollars paying for abortions. Far too many use it as a means of birth control. According to law, it's a choice, just as any elective surgery is and the person electing to have non-medically required surgery should pay for it themselves.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:56 PM on Mar. 24, 2010